Jonny Whyte

Jun 12, 2004
Hello all, im wondering if anybody could tell me what the reliability is like of 05 YZ 125. At the end of the racing season i will be needing to get a different, newer, bike and although i know that the YZ has got the power and handling, i need to know if it needs more parts put into it than the usual 125 2-st. I will not b able to get a 4s machine at this time due to some "lack of funds" lol. I have an 03 RM125 at the min and i will be needing something new for next season. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Cr85RaCeR607

Aug 13, 2004
It will have the same maitenance schedule as your RM. Just keep on top of oil changes, and keeping your air filter clean, and your top end should last a while. Also, when you fist get it, grease the linkage and the steering head.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Where do you ride? MX or play riding? The YZ has always been a fav of my sons. They both race the 04 125 and 250. I don't believe the changes concerning the frame affected the mill (too much). The YZ has always been a strong performer. At our level (local) it does not matter too much if it's 2 or 4 stroke. It comes down to the rider. As far as which would be better IMHO would be the YZ125 versus the YZ250F. I would love to hand the boys an F but knowing me I'd first have to strip it down and install SS valves and dual springs ($$$). The 2 is ready as is (again, only in MY HUMBLE OPINION - and that's as a mechanic that services small/medium high output/rpm yamaha engines). Cheers and all that stuff!

Jonny Whyte

Jun 12, 2004
I race MX at our local amatuer level. I just really was wanting to know if there was any issues with 05 YZ because someone told me that there was problems with it. Although i didnt take his word for granted i needed to check it out.

JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
FORTYPLUS said:
Where do you ride? MX or play riding? The YZ has always been a fav of my sons. They both race the 04 125 and 250. I don't believe the changes concerning the frame affected the mill (too much). The YZ has always been a strong performer. At our level (local) it does not matter too much if it's 2 or 4 stroke. It comes down to the rider. As far as which would be better IMHO would be the YZ125 versus the YZ250F. I would love to hand the boys an F but knowing me I'd first have to strip it down and install SS valves and dual springs ($$$). The 2 is ready as is (again, only in MY HUMBLE OPINION - and that's as a mechanic that services small/medium high output/rpm yamaha engines). Cheers and all that stuff![/QUOTE

the yz250f doesn't have the valve issues that the other 250f's have, the are very reliable. i had an 02 yz250f that i bought used, i rode it for almost two years and had no valve issues at all with it. i wish i still had that bike.

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
FORTYPLUS said:
They both race the 04 125 and 250. I don't believe the changes concerning the frame affected the mill (too much). !

The 05 YZ125 has an all new motor...completely different from the 04. Do a seach here on DRN....there have been a few issues but probably not any different than the typical motocross bike.

Sayntmatt

Jul 22, 2002
There was talk that the main bearings were failing on them but I have never actually seen that myself! I think in reality they are as reliable as any other 2 stroke mxer!

Jonny Whyte

Jun 12, 2004
Yea thats what i thought. some people here of someone's bike breaking and they think the bike is scrap, when it can just be the person not looking after it properly or just the usual breakdowns now and then.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Not sure what this is worth but I rmember Dirt Rider doing a test on all the class winners and the YZ125 required the least amount of maintenance out of all the bikes tested after running the bikes 40 hours. This was within the last 4-5 months IIRC.

moto12

Jul 26, 2005
I have one and so far everythings been good haven't done a thing to it cept getting seals replaced b/c i tied it down to hard.

Kickstart lever fell off first ride but i think that is becaus the shop didn't tighten it right.
Havent had problems since.

Just change the oil clean the filter. that's all ive been doing and it's worked perfectly.

Top Bottom