rodH

Aug 17, 2005
OK, so this maybe isn't a fair review given they really are completely different classes of bikes. But after riding my 1997 RM250 that had a lot of problems and getting on an 04 CRF250, I felt like I was in heaven. A lot of the trails we ride in SoCal are sort of rocky, rutted out, and tend to have a lot of the stutter bumps/whoops at the base (which really effects your momentum that is needed with a 2 stroke to climb with). When I 1st hopped on the CRF250 after riding my RM, it was soooo easy to climb, it seemed to handle much better (my headset on my RM was waaaaaay too tight) and had great throttle responce (my throttle tube was totally shattered and dirty and I was having a LOT of engine/exhaust problems with my RM, that I didn't realize how bad it was until I just got it fixed). So as you can see, the CRF was very very impressive, partly because my bike wasn't running correctly, and partly because it was a newer bike, newer technology, and a 4 stroke (which makes it easy to climb steep hills without having to get a big run at the bottom).

As impressed as I was with the CRF, I was SOLD that this would be my next bike (I like the idea of having a lighter bike than a CRF450 for the track, and the power seemed to be fine). I hoped on an 05 yz250 with FMF pipe and silencer. WOW, that bike is soooo freakin fast, the powerband hits like a jet airplane. It is intimidating at first if you aren't use to it, but after I just got use to the rear tire breaking lose, and not panicing, I had a great time. It still keeps you on your toes, with NEVER a dull moment.

Now, as I rode the YZ and CRF back to back on a track, it seems that although the wt is very very similar on both bikes, the CRF seems much more top heavy and harder to throw around a track. Even though the wt is similar, the YZ has the power to stay on top of the whoops. It is very hard to describe, but the YZ handling just seems unbelievable. I sort of wonder if since Yamaha went to an aluminum frame, yes it only saves a few pounds, but the wt is MUCH lower in the frame, to the handling is improved?? Where even though the CRF has an aluminum frame and is similar in wt, the engine seems a lot taller because it is a 4 stroke and maybe this effects the handling? (side note-the rear end on the CRF is sooo dang light VS the YZ and my RM, I am not sure why it is such a big difference, other than the slightly larger rear tires??? what else??)

I sort of feel like some of the magic I had for the 4 stroke has gone down after today. Yes the climbing is still much easy/better with the CRF, but I am not sure it is as "fun" as the YZ.

I was teaching my bro how to ride today, but I never wanted him to get on the YZ. I know it would freak him out with the power.

The CRF I think is still probably a much better bike for a beginner or intermediate rider, especially for someone who rides a lot of trails, hills, etc......The YZ is more for a person who has a lot of experience riding, isn't affraid of being on the edge all the time and has quick reflexes with good bike handling skills (to correct from all the oversteer, rear tire breaking lose, and required to climb at higher speeds, etc...)

Both bikes have a slightly different purpose, and are different classes, but I just thought I would write down my thoughts.

After I got home, I picked up my RM250 97, from getting fixed (engine/exhaust, headset bearings and adjustment, etc....). WOW, I never have had my bike feel this fast!!!!! I rode it at the shop it was fixed at on the street, tire was coming off the ground in all of the 3 gears I was in, the thing felt sooo fast. When I got back, the guy who worked at the shop said that I should be "right there" with straight line speed VS even the NEW YZ, which surprised me when he said that. I asked "so, what has changed on the late 90s bikes compared to todays 2 strokes?" He said that the power is gonna be about the same, but most of the improvements people notice is gonna be in the handling. The wts aren't that much difference (2 pounds??) but it is where the wt is placed and the geometry that makes the new bikes faster on the tracks. I was surprised that he said that the power isn't much different. I can't wait to take my RM out now, I am sooooo happy this thing is moving like it was supposed to. In the course of 1 day I went from thinking that I wanted to save up for a used CRF250, to maybe saving for a used YZ250, to wanting to keep my RM250 and NOT waste my money (I don't race, so the slight advantage I might get with a new yz250 wouldn't be worth the price it would take to get into one for me and my skills and my budget). Thank goodness for a good mechanic!!!!

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
I've owned both an '04 CRF250 and '05 YZ250 at the same time (still have the YZ). Riding the baby CRF for a year was about the best thing I could have done for my riding...it handled so well, and really made me be aggressive in corner speed/late braking/keeping momentum since I was typically racing against 250 2 strokes.

The YZ does feel lighter, even though they weigh almost the same. The diff. is the lack of rotating weight in the head cylinder, and the lower cg in the YZ from having a more compact engine. To me, the YZ is about the best of all worlds - the light feel of my old CRF250, w/ the power (albeit a narrower powerband) of my old CRF450, combined w/ a MUCH easier maintenance schedule.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
Chris_S said:
I've owned both an '04 CRF250 and '05 YZ250 at the same time (still have the YZ). Riding the baby CRF for a year was about the best thing I could have done for my riding...it handled so well, and really made me be aggressive in corner speed/late braking/keeping momentum since I was typically racing against 250 2 strokes.

The YZ does feel lighter, even though they weigh almost the same. The diff. is the lack of rotating weight in the head cylinder, and the lower cg in the YZ from having a more compact engine. To me, the YZ is about the best of all worlds - the light feel of my old CRF250, w/ the power (albeit a narrower powerband) of my old CRF450, combined w/ a MUCH easier maintenance schedule.

Chris, so I take it you aren't sold on the 4 strokes (vs 2??). I know another guy who has a YZ250 and a YZF450 he just got, he is sick of trying to like the 4 stroke better. He bought it based on all the reviews, etc....but he really doesn't like it better and is tired of trying to make it feel better than his 250, because to him, he just likes the 2 stroke better. Are you similar?? (he is an advanced rider,btw)

ETS

Apr 13, 2000
Your 97' RM is a capable machine. I had a 96' for a couple years and really liked it. It probably won't have the refined powerband of the new YZ but they should be close in a drag race. Set up right and they are quick bikes that don't have a lot of top end. Those right side up forks on those bikes are my favorite since I don't race either. They will soak up anything with a plushness that few bikes I've ridden will match. I like the maintenance of the two stroke and how easy it starts. I've had a few of the newer thumpers and didn't care how they started or oil changes. Powerbands are easier for the track but I wouldn't give up my RM with Eric Gorr low end porting in the single track for anything right now. They are so precise in the woods that other bikes feel like lumber wagons.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
ETS said:
Your 97' RM is a capable machine. I had a 96' for a couple years and really liked it. It probably won't have the refined powerband of the new YZ but they should be close in a drag race. Set up right and they are quick bikes that don't have a lot of top end. Those right side up forks on those bikes are my favorite since I don't race either. They will soak up anything with a plushness that few bikes I've ridden will match. I like the maintenance of the two stroke and how easy it starts. I've had a few of the newer thumpers and didn't care how they started or oil changes. Powerbands are easier for the track but I wouldn't give up my RM with Eric Gorr low end porting in the single track for anything right now. They are so precise in the woods that other bikes feel like lumber wagons.

What are the advantages of the traditional forks???

ETS

Apr 13, 2000
Not sure but they had their act together on the spring rates and valving. Something to do with the right side up part that would absorb the worst slap landings. I guess a downfall to them is fork flex but I never noticed it. McGrath didn't like them but those guys are on a different page. Most other traditional forks had low ground clearance and a lot of flex but these had 50mm tubes or so which at the time was bigger than the inverts.

jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
I too was a 4 stroke guy having owned and raced an 02 and 04 yz250f. I bought an 05 yz250 on 12/31/05. What a contrast, thought I made a costly mistake at first(my first ride was on an arenacross track in the winter). After putting time in the saddle and staying off of four strokes, I enjoy the bike for many reasons and wonder why I ever jumped on the four stroke bandwagon. It does feel lighter than the four stroke 250'fs, and especially the 450's, the power is great once you get used to it, and handling is awesome. Chris S, if you read this, I tried to contact you via e-mail, but kept coming back returned. I do not have priviledges on this site to pm you-jimyz

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
rod, yes, I now prefer 2 strokes, though I have to admit it wasn't an easy transition. I like the more exciting powerband, lighter, more agile feel, easier starting, and all the extra time saved not changing oil and messing w/ valves. I still enjoy riding others' four strokes, but prefer owning a two stroke. I will say that I really don't like the big Yamaha thumpers...hated the YZ426F I had, and wasn't too impressed w/ a YZ450F I recently tried. Hopefully the '06 will fix that, b/c right now the CRF450 kicks its ass ex. in valvetrain durability. I'm an intermediate hare scrambler and novice MX'er.

jimyz, you can reach me using csoignier (at) austin (dot) rr (dot) com

Aug 26, 2005
I did some trail riding today and was witness to the care free hill climbing ability of thumbers---'02ish WR250 and WR426. Some ~280 lb lard ass was putting around on the 426 as if he was on a lawn mower (it even sounded just like a big lawn mower, not very cool :ugg: ), but with the same casual ease, he could also lug his way up hills that are scary on my CR250R because of the way the power hits. Elsewhere on the trails and in the open areas I was blitzing him with instant 2-stroke power. :nener: I may check out an 11-ounce flywheel to tame the beast somewhat, but God I love the excitement of 2-strokes, keeps my eyes open wide and the blood pumpin'!

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
2-stroke diehard said:
I did some trail riding today and was witness to the care free hill climbing ability of thumbers---'02ish WR250 and WR426. Some ~280 lb lard ass was putting around on the 426 as if he was on a lawn mower (it even sounded just like a big lawn mower, not very cool :ugg: ), but with the same casual ease, he could also lug his way up hills that are scary on my CR250R because of the way the power hits. Elsewhere on the trails and in the open areas I was blitzing him with instant 2-stroke power. :nener: I may check out an 11-ounce flywheel to tame the beast somewhat, but God I love the excitement of 2-strokes, keeps my eyes open wide and the blood pumpin'!

This is the ONLY thing that I like with the 4 strokes better, the climbing is SUUUUPER easy. I climb a lot of areas with friends that are much better riders than I am PLUS they have 4 strokes, so what is easy for them isn't for me. After going up one hill, my buddy on his KTM525 looks over at my bro on a CRF250R and says, "watch, I bet your bro doesn't make it up this"......I struggled, but I made it. I cn't believe I made it, I have HORRIBLE TIRES as well (70% worn out) which makes is all the worse to hook up the power. I just spun the tires til I made it up, but it was hairy. Is there much I can do to my RM250 to give it more low end torque??

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
I climb stuff that's near vertical on my YZ250...maybe it's the flywheel weight? No problem, I've never felt disadvantaged on the climbs.

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
rodH said:
This is the ONLY thing that I like with the 4 strokes better, the climbing is SUUUUPER easy. I climb a lot of areas with friends that are much better riders than I am PLUS they have 4 strokes, so what is easy for them isn't for me. After going up one hill, my buddy on his KTM525 looks over at my bro on a CRF250R and says, "watch, I bet your bro doesn't make it up this"......I struggled, but I made it. I cn't believe I made it, I have HORRIBLE TIRES as well (70% worn out) which makes is all the worse to hook up the power. I just spun the tires til I made it up, but it was hairy. Is there much I can do to my RM250 to give it more low end torque??

Go up a couple teeth on your rear sprocket....get V-Force 3 reeds and a shorty silencer. Is your slow/pilot properly jetted?

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
CspineRider said:
Go up a couple teeth on your rear sprocket....get V-Force 3 reeds and a shorty silencer. Is your slow/pilot properly jetted?

I did add 1 tooth to my rear sprocker, I am running a shorty silencer already, the jetting is what Bills Pipes recommends for thier stuff.

How well does the V-force reeds work??

Aug 26, 2005
rodH said:

Increasing your flywheel mass will make your powerband more tractable down low and will reduce the tendency to stall. You have to be much braver and more talented than I to climb huge/steep hills well with a 2-stroke MXer, it's simply not that easy to do safely. I am considering a heavier flywheel, but I have to also consider how much of that type of riding I even want to do with the CR. After all, I bought it because MXers are the Ferraris of the dirbike world, I want blazing speed without much compromise! I may well pick up a CRF or DR250 or even possibly a KDX220 for trail riding and leave my CR the way it was intended to be. :nod:

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
rodH said:
I did add 1 tooth to my rear sprocker, I am running a shorty silencer already, the jetting is what Bills Pipes recommends for thier stuff.

How well does the V-force reeds work??

I love the V-force 3 reeds, they give you instant throttle response. It is money well spent.

Top Bottom