Remove cylinder to work on KIPS?

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
Does the cylinder have to be removed to remove and replace the KIPS stuff ? I don't think my kips stuff is working right (1998 kdx200) not much low end power. The manual says to remove the cylinder but I don't see why. you got to remove and replace stuff if the cylinder is on the bench or on the engine. Does anybody know of a good kdx mechanic in the Phoenix AZ area ? Thanks for info.

bob

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Yes, it has to come off. The "KIPS stuff" all comes out the bottom of the cyl.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
I think you can get it all out with just removing the head(never tried though). The only thing Im not sure about is what jasonwho metioned being the rod acuator. I had the little screw connecting the slide valve to the shaft come loose and got to it with just taking off the gas tank and valve cover.

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
Yeah I know the manual says to remove the cylinder but the exploded views show stuff coming out the top of the cylinder, the front and the right side. looking at the engine I see no reason why the cylinder should come off. This may be another mistake in the manual. Still looking for a good kdx mechanic in the Phoenix AZ.

bob

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I could be wrong. But, if it is simalar to the KX KIPS, they come out the bottom. Sorry.

louis

Sep 2, 2002
Nothing is removed from the bottom. You will need to acess top, left side,right side. Pull the cylinder & toss in a piston while you're at it. Prior to all this remove the round slotted cover on the left side of the cylinder ,rev it up & see if the shaft rotates. Keep in touch.

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
No, I don't think it needs a piston. the guy I got it from had a piston put in but I think the shop messed up the KIPS stuff. the shaft that should rotate does not rotate. I see where you would have to remove the cylinder to get one of the shafts out because the left down tube is in the way. I don't think that is good engineering. I think I will take this in to a shop if I can find a good one in the Phoenix area.

bob

Top Bottom