gsuhm

Jun 11, 2002
First off -- I've been lurking on this site for a couple months, and it's great! I've decided to do a frame-up renewal of my neglected '90 and I've gotten more answers here than I can count.

So here's a quick question -- Does anyone know the trick to pull the clutch rod out of the clutch cover? The service manual indicates it should be turned to the back of the engine and then lifted out, but I've been yanking pretty hard and it's not moving. Does it need to be out before the cover is removed? I've been tapping the cover with a mallet but it's not budging either.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Garrett

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Have you removed the clutch cover from the engine yet?You will not be able to remove the clutch release shaft with the cover still installed.There is a rod that sticks out from the clutch assembly that engages the shaft and holds it in the cover.

gsuhm

Jun 11, 2002
no, should I just keep wacking it with the mallet? Any other tricks to getting it off without "gouging screwdriver" syndrome?

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
If you are having trouble getting the clutch cover off make sure you have removed all the screws(6) and try to activate the clutch,by this I mean turn the clutch shaft in the direction that it normally travels when you pull the clutch lever on the handlebar,it should pop the cover loose as you pull the lever,tap the cover with a plastic mallet as you do this .There are locating dowels around the cover and sometimes these rust and hang up the cover or the gasket might be holding it tight.

Wharf Rat

Spammer
Jun 27, 2002
A few strategically placed whacks with the rubber mallet always does it for me.

If not, you can figure out a way to pry without destroying things if you take your time and try to use physics to your advantage....I usually dont have to do much prying.

You know what got it for me the last time? I believe if I remember correctly that I left the cable hooked up for the clutch and pulled the clutch lever once or twice and the cover popped right off. Might have been a fluke, but I would try it again the next time that cover has to come off.

Last edited:

gsuhm

Jun 11, 2002
That was it -- I grabbed it lightly with a pair of vise grips and a rag and pulled the clutch lever forward instead of backward (like I thought the manual said). A little leverage, and it popped right off!

Now that I got it off, how much further teardown would you recommend for inspection? I want to cover all the bases (short of splitting the cases) because I don't think this engine has been open since it was put together in '90 (I'm the second owner).

thanks for your help.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
What are you looking for ,is there a problem with the tranny or clutch,was there something in the oil when you drained it?If there is a problem with the clutch measure the fiber and steel plates for wear and trueness(warped) check the the basket for wear notches etc.you can check some of the bearings,if it was shifting ok I would not recommend taking the entire motor apart just to do a inspection wait untill weather is bad or riding season is slow(winter) but if everything was working ok before just bolt it back together put in some good oil(your choice) and ride it.

gsuhm

Jun 11, 2002
I guess after finding out how messed up my KIPS valve was, I'm a little paranoid. Both the left and right valves were stripped, which set me back $70. So any preventative maintenance I can do with the engine off the bike would be a bonus!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom