Removing Gear Shift Oil Seal?

exbee

Dec 27, 2009
'93 KDX 250-is there a way to remove this seal without removing the shifter shaft? Is a special tool required?

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
True, but how are you going to get that seal over the shaft? You are still going to be pulling the shaft, though you won't have to split the cases.

The transmission shaft, on the other hand, probably could be done without removing the shaft (I think I remember the lip being on the inside, not the outside). I think I have successfully used a paint can opener to remove that before (you know, the ones with a bottle opener on one end, and what looks like a bent screwdriver tip on the other).

For that matter, you could probably heat up an old screwdriver and bend it's tip to be exactly the hook you need...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Uhhh.. I'm pretty sure that you can pull the seal out of the case, and then pull it off the shaft. Why should you pull the shift shaft to replace a seal?

Unless the shift lever is welded on, you pull that off and then you pull the seal off. Or am I missing something?

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
My bad, I was thinking the shifter was welded to the shaft. I already have my cases split last time I had to pull it, so I pulled it out as an assembly. But now that I think back, I bet it was a gnurled shaft, and the shifter lever bolts to it. My apologies for the confusion.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
reepicheep said:
My bad, I was thinking the shifter was welded to the shaft. I already have my cases split last time I had to pull it, so I pulled it out as an assembly. But now that I think back, I bet it was a gnurled shaft, and the shifter lever bolts to it. My apologies for the confusion.
AH HA! You know the guy, or you ARE the guy welding them shift levers on? Kidding aside, why make a bad situation worse? The best a guy can figure to fix it? Or just plain ignorant? Any way you can peel it out is fine, as long as you do not pry against the aluminum cases, or scratch up the shaft. Run 2 screws in it, 180 degrees apart, and pull the seal out. I would lightly drag a smooth file/purple skotch brite pad around it before I put the new seal, oiled up into place. Keep it even. Vintage Bob

exbee

Dec 27, 2009
Well I've tried both methods mentioned above with no luck. The seal is stuck in there good. Can someone give me a quick procedure for removing the case covers from the other side of the engine and pulling out the shift shaft? There's nothing specific about this in the service manual.
Thanks

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You may be able to wiggle and worm the shift shaft out with the clutch side off. BUT, I would take the clutch basket off, it makes it soooo much easier. If you have an impact, piece of cake. Vintage Bob

nearma12

Mar 29, 2009
All you will have to do to remove the shaft it: Remove outer clutch cover, inner clutch cover, clutch basket. Then just pull the shaft straight out. It slides in and out easily. That will give you plenty of room to pull the seal without the shaft in your way. Here are a few pics of my KDX250 that show you how the shaft sits in the engine. I am getting ready to replace my seal this weekend, so let me know if you find any tricks or anything helpful. Hope the pics help!

SS850049.jpg

SS850051.jpg

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
nearma12 said:
All you will have to do to remove the shaft it: Remove outer clutch cover, inner clutch cover, clutch basket. Then just pull the shaft straight out. It slides in and out easily. That will give you plenty of room to pull the seal without the shaft in your way. Here are a few pics of my KDX250 that show you how the shaft sits in the engine. I am getting ready to replace my seal this weekend, so let me know if you find any tricks or anything helpful. Hope the pics help!

No offense, but damn dude.. You might want to consider washing that thing before you rip into it like that.

Nothing quite like a giant glob of mud falling into the open transmission..

exbee

Dec 27, 2009
Thanks nearma,
I have got nearly that far already except I don't have the right size impact socket to remove the clutch basket nut. Once I get that off I'm sure it will be straight forward. I just didn't think I would have to disassemble so much to change a simple seal. It's no big deal I guess...I've got lots of time on my hands...it's still the dead of winter and I've got no ice tires to play with anyway.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If you can not get the 6 point metric socket, there is an inches and feets socket that works also, and make sure its a 6 point socket. 12 points are for cars! Good catch Gary, them new glasses paid off, yuck at all that dirt! DANGER Will Robinson! Vintage Bob

nearma12

Mar 29, 2009
IndyMX said:
No offense, but damn dude.. You might want to consider washing that thing before you rip into it like that.

Nothing quite like a giant glob of mud falling into the open transmission..

The motor and everything up higher was washed off. I was in the processof pulling the motor out of the bike. All the stuff in the pics is on the frame below the motor where i couldn't get to it.. But, yeah I see your point.

Top Bottom