Removing Oxidation

Silver Bullet

Mar 7, 2000
I recently swamped my bike at the last Spodefest at Paragon in PA. While stripping the bike to clean everything I discovered that I apparently had some water get into my flywheel and stator sometime in the past that caused some of the parts to get oxidized (OK...rust). I cleaned a lot of it off with WD40,etc but is there something to get rust off that won't hurt any of the sensitive parts? There is rust on the outside surface of the flywheel as well as on the steel brackets holding the pickup in place. I woud like to get everything as clean as possible before putting it back together.

Bill G
'98 KX250

Superchief

Feb 11, 2003
You could try soaking it in oil for a day or so. once it's done soaking, wash the oil off with some type of parts cleaner ( something that cuts oil, grease etc.) and put it back together. this usually works.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I doubt it will hurt anything. But you can always sand it off and coat it with a light oil.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
When you reassemble the bike, spray some type of lube in the entire flyhweel area. WD-40 is alright but only lasts a day or two before it's all dried out. Get some sort of lube that will stay put longer (silicone spray comes to mind), and you don't have to keep applying it every 3 days.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…