removing steering stem bearings?

bultokid

Jun 23, 2000
anybody got any hot tips for removing bottom steering stem bearings? trying to get betors back on the bul have used heat vises and sucker is locked solid guess i'll have to take to machine shop but thought id give it a shot here thanks

------------------
Rhett
2000 KTM 380SX
75/77/79 Bultaco Pursangs
'80 Montesa 414VG

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
have you tried putting a long punch down through the top and tapping them out, might throw some penetrating oil on them first or just let the whole stem down into a bucket of oil to soak.

------------------
Jeff-
'84 Can-Am ASE 250 (brutally fast rat bike)
'93 Kawasaki KDX200 (bored 40 over, FMF pipe, A-Loop suspension)

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
Diddo on the long punch. I had a similar problem getting bearing races out of my Husky. Use a moderately heavy, like a small 3lb, one handed sledge. Don't hit in the same place twice in a row. Keep moving the punch in a star pattern around the bearing.

You have to use a moderate hit. Hit too soft and you will just marr up the frame and bearing, but nothing will happen. Hit Too hard and the bearing will come out but you will marr up the frame and bearing.

Patience and Persevence.

Greg

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Sounds like you want to remove the bottom race off the stem, right? Best thing I've seen is a hydro press tp push the stem down thru the botom clamp. This will pop it loose. Then flip it over and press the steerer stem back in to the right place.

Head bearing replacement goes easy with the right tools but is a pain without them. A pipe of the right size can be used to re-seat the new bottom bearing on the stem. The top and bottom races going into the frame can be done with a punch, but better done with a piece of bar stock turned to the right diameter.

I just did my first set, and wow what a difference the right tools make.

Top Bottom