dansdr125

Apr 8, 2007
ok just got my cr125 found out its a 97 not 98...lol bummer....but ne ways it spits oil out like a mother but dude mixed gas pretty strong and i dranined that but a buddy said u have repack the muffler and that could be why...or maybe the rings are bad but hopeing it wuz just strong gas and packing...so how do u pack a mufffler....?

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Repacking your muffler will not solve your oil spitting....

You should do some research into jetting your machine correctly. that will eliminate the oil spitting. :)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
dansdr125 said:
a buddy said u have repack the muffler and that could be why...or maybe the rings are bad but hopeing it wuz just strong gas and packing...so how do u pack a mufffler....?

This is a two stroke, right? If not, then ignore all the rest. If it is, then the problem definitely isn't rings as that is only a four stroke symptom.

To repack the silencer you start by removing it from the bike and then remove one of the end caps. Depending on the make of the silencer it could be the exhaust end that comes off or it could be "input" side that comes off.

The endcaps will be held on with either screws or pop rivets. If they are pop rivets you will need to drill them out. If they are screws you might be able to unscrew them, or they might be so messed up that you need to drill them out as well. Either way, get the screws/rivets off and then slide the end cap off. If it doesn't come off easily, try the other end!

Once you get it apart there should be an inside pipe with a lot of holes in it. If there is any of your old packing left it will be a soggy mess wrapped around this pipe. Scrape the soggy mess off directly into a trash can.

Now get some new packing (any dirt bike shop) and cut it to fit the length of the silencer. Wrap the new packing around the inside pipe with all the holes in it. You may need to go several times around the pipe to build up the correct thickness. Use a little bit of any kind of tape (I recommend masking tape) just to hold the wrapping on long enough for you to get it back inside the silencer housing. Put the screws back in and/or pop rivets and remount the silencer on the bike.

That will help the oil spitting for a short while, until it gets saturated too. If that happens too quickly then it is probably because you are running too much oil in the gas, too rich of a gas/air mixture or simply not riding it hard enough to heat the engine up to burn off the oil.

dansdr125

Apr 8, 2007
ok...thanks i like guys like you that like to help...out....now when i pull the tube with the holes in it i rap around that right i dont put in the hole cuz thats where the exhaust gas's come from...right...?but i got some packing for about 9 bucks from iron pony...thanks ill be sure to do that when the rain lets up...lol

Top Bottom