Replaced FMF head pipe with stock, causing problems?

sorny

May 26, 2004
When I got my YZ 250 it came with an FMF Gnarly and I was thinking SWEET! Free Pipe! Well, ends up it came with it because it was dented so bad it probably wouldn't let any exhaust go through. So, not being able to afford a replacement FMF at the time, I jumped on **** and got a stocker for like $25 or something. Worked great, been riding the bike for almost a year. I can keep a plug for 3-4 months at a time and then usually replace it just because I want to, not because it fouls. But I don't ride much. I'll ride 2-3 hours, one day on a weekend.

I run Bel-Ray MC-1 at 50:1, like the bottle says and like the guy who had the bike (an ATV and MX mechanic) said. Running an NGK (or Delco equivilant when I have to) BR8ES, like mechanic guy said. I don't have spooge pouring out of the tail pipe, but I'll wipe off the exhaust port on the silencer and after a 2 hour ride It'll have a 1" long trail coming down it, about 1/4" wide, not dripping off.

So I'm thinking since he knew what he was doing with bikes he might've jetted the carb for the new head pipe and I might've screwed with that when I went back to stock. Would that cause spooge or would it cause the opposite? Also, I've got some O-rings on order from bikebandit.com for the headpipe and I wasn't sure if any air getting in around that area where it meets the head would cause a loss of power or anything.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Do did your bike come with the FMF pipe installed? And did your ride with this pipe for any amount of time or instantly remove it for a stocker? Just wondering if your spooge issues weren't occuring with the FMF pipe as well.

Also 50:1 sounds a little light on the oil to me. I don't think I would have warm fuzzy feelings running that little premix.

Micah

sorny

May 26, 2004
The FMF was about unusable when I got the bike, so I never even tried to run it with the FMF. I think I'll just leave it be. I didn't like the idea of 50:1 but the guy I bought the bike from said to run the Bel-Ray 50:1 as he had done that for years. When he raced the bike and when he just went woods riding. So I just continued on. So far, no problems. The MC1 container even recommends 50:1. Also, no measuring because 1 container is 50:1 with 5 gallons ;)

Top Bottom