Skitspuce

May 21, 2003
My soon-to-be 6 year old son has outgrown his JR50 (immediately after I rebuilt it) and we're looking for something bigger that he won't outgrow in a year. He's really big for his age and had enough control of the 50 to hang the back end out in the wet grass (MY BOY :D), and he wants to try his hand at racing.

So the question becomes, should I get him a good 4stroke like a ttr-90 or do I get something like a KTM pro sr? I'm a street bike guy...or was...so I don't know much about racing classes, and if it turns out he isn't interested in the racing part, I'd like to have a bike that he can just bang around. Thanks for any help.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Well the ttr or any currently availbile 4 stroke will be a terrible choice if you want to race. they are poorly suspended and make little power in comparison to the 2 stroke 50's out there. What you buy will depend on where you race. The Pro SR is a 7-8 class bike and in AMA competition you will not be able to ride it in the 4-6 class. If you ride in the 7-8 class you will never be able to go back to the 4-6 class. This might not matter like here in AZ the 4-6 class riders can ride the bigger bikes.

If you were to come in my shop I'd suggest the Cobra CM. Because it is the 4-6 class bike but our bike has bigger suspension than the KTM Jr class bike. Not sure if you have heard of Cobra before but we Dominate peewee racing. This year at the loretta Nationals...The biggest amature race in the country, we were 12 out of the top 15 spots including 1st. If your still only interested in the KTM brand take a peek at www.ktmtalk.com in the mini section so you can see what types of problems those guys are having. You can also check out www.cobratalk.com and check up on our bikes. Also www.cobramotorcycle.com is Cobra's main website. Also some of the Owners of Cobra lurk here on dirtrider.net and the company is an American owned and run company. If you have any questions feel free to call me I don't mind spending time working with you on the phone even if ultimatley you decide on the KTM.

Last edited:

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
There are also LEMs, and Polinis. Maybe even a 60 or a 65 with a pipe for a mellower hit. Just depends on height i guess. Let him try a few first and see how he likes them.

Skitspuce

May 21, 2003
Thanks for the advice...I knew about cobras, but hadn't really considered 'em simply because we don't have a dealer here in Oklahoma. I'll check them out a little more thoroughly tho. BTW...its www.cobramotorcycle.com, if you go to 'cobramotorcycles' you get a chopper site :D

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Skitspuce said:
Thanks for the advice...I knew about cobras, but hadn't really considered 'em simply because we don't have a dealer here in Oklahoma. I'll check them out a little more thoroughly tho. BTW...its www.cobramotorcycle.com, if you go to 'cobramotorcycles' you get a chopper site :D

:laugh: what do you mean! it says cobramotorcycle.com or at least it does now. :thumb:

The reason I didn't mention the 65's was the mentioning of the kid being 6. In ama racing the class is 7-9 or 7-11 so no 6 year olds on 65's. I also think the Polinis are good bikes. The LEM uses the same motor as the Cobra PW3 entry level bike...the morini S6C which is a great motor. But since racing was mentioned I looked at 12 Cobra's, 1 Polini, and 2 KTM;s in the top 15 and thats where that came from.

But as far as not having a dealer it is nice to have dealer support. I know its hard when your donw and don't have any help. Cobra has a tech line that is answered m-f for questions. For parts your really only a phone call away. Part of the deal, especially with the new owners is that every dealer is expected to carry parts to support their riders. This does not happen all the time but when you call around you'll find a few you like that always have parts. I know I carry a ton of parts to the track every week. but your close to Cobra unlimited and they stock tons of stuff too. We have some riders that ride out your way in tennesee but they mentioned making it to Oaklahoma once in a while. They own YPG Youth Protection Gear. Stop by and say hi if you see them. Dusty and Lynn are great guys and they will help you with our bike even if it ends up not being a cobra.

Skitspuce

May 21, 2003
Thanks for all your help...I think I decided on a KX/RM65. I was seriously leaning towards the auto-50s but I'm the sole breadwinner around here and I can't afford to buy a new bike every year or so. If I get him a 65 he will be set for a while, and they aren't any more expensive than the upper end 50s, and as for the racing classes, he may just have to wait a year...we've got 40 acres of weeds out in the boonies that he can ride to get used to the bike.

I've got 3 months before his B-Day to save $3K :ohmy: Guess I'm workin overtime.

Now if I could just afford one for meself...

Last edited:

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
If you look around you should be able to get a kx/rm four under 2500 OTD. Maybe even shipped. if your local guys cannot hook you up let me know. I don't deal Kaw but I know some good places that usually will let them go dirt cheap. When we were looking at them It was $2550 shipped. (sorry but the Cobra DC65 was not a good beginner bike, we put 6 months on the KX firstthen bought a cobra Kinda embarrasing since I am a Dealer, the 2005 DC65 now thats a different story)

Top Bottom