duke boy

Dec 2, 2005
My '89 KX 250 has upgraded forks, I am guessing they are early 90's forks but am not sure. They are inverted with a black outer tube and a gold inner tube and the insides are very, very similar to the assembly manual i have for 1991 KX 250 forks . I may buy replacement forks but need to know what other bikes had the same diameter forks so that they will fit in my triple tree. Does anyone
a) know for sure what forks I have based on my description
b)know what forks will be compatible

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
the early inverted kx forks were 41mm until 91 when they went to the 43mm. They stayed 43mm through the 95 model year and went 46mm in 96.

so you have :

90 = 41mm
91-95 = 43mm
96-00 = 46mm
01-present = 48mm

You are going to need to find out what exact size they are. A lot of the 43mm forks were annodized blue on the upper tubes.

But if you find later model forks, look at the kawasaki online fische. If your year and the year of the forks you are looking at use the same size bearings, you maybe able to use the entire triple tree - only thing you may need to do is to press out the stock stem into the new lower clamp.

If you do it that way get the entire front end with the brake caliper, wheel and axle. These changed through the years!

duke boy

Dec 2, 2005
thanks for the info. the size is just the circumference around the outer fork tube, right? I haven't measured yet, but I assume I have the 43mm forks.

Top Bottom