tbs3389

Aug 2, 2003
I'm restoring a friends 1982 cr125 and have some questions. The bike is all there it just needs alot of work and some parts. The bike is currently completely stripped down. I have a new topend on the way, the cylinder is good, and the bottom end seems alrite except for some dirt that got in. I want this bike to come out nice. We are repainting the frame, getting new tires, sprockets, chain, topend, and the carb is all set. What else should i do to it??? I want to completely fix up everything before it gets put back together and i want to do a thorough job to make sure it comes out good. Also, getting a new bike isn't an option. Thanks

tristan18au

Jun 3, 2001
repack/replace any bearings you can find on the bike, clean some threads up with a tap if need anywhere on the bike, check for cracks anywhere on the frame or swingarm, change oil in tranny and forks and get the shock serviced.

tbs3389

Aug 2, 2003
Thanks for the help. Also, how would i clean out the crankcase without splitting it and I forgot to mention that there was no coolant in the bike and hasn't been in a while. What was left of the coolant turned into a chalk-like substance that hardened onto some parts around the water pump. Ive got alot of it off but is there anything in particular i can do to clean out the cooling system? Thanks again.

joelyles2004

Mar 5, 2004
Heres how I would clean the crankcase out.

tbs3389 said:
Thanks for the help. Also, how would i clean out the crankcase without splitting it and I forgot to mention that there was no coolant in the bike and hasn't been in a while. What was left of the coolant turned into a chalk-like substance that hardened onto some parts around the water pump. Ive got alot of it off but is there anything in particular i can do to clean out the cooling system? Thanks again.

If the motor is off the bike, take a thin flat tip screwdriver & wrap a small piece of cotton on it soaked in lacquer thinner and slide in between the crankshaft weights carefully and slide the screwdriver back & forth and pull it out slowly & see what comes out. Or if u can buy a syphon that operates off an air compressor u can suck out any solvent u put in there to loosen it up & whatever gunks in there. Now for the coolant system cleaning. Go to a radiator shop that has a pressure tester and let them hook up a hose that connects to the whole cooling system & let them flush it with their pump that pumps coolant into a (closed system) radiator to see ifit has leaks. I believe the deposits leftover would run into their testing system & not be left in your radiators, pump etc.

Joe Lyles

Mar 9, 2004
Take lots of before and after pictures. I just finished 2 rebuilds (83 IT 175 and 85 IT 200) and its really satisfying to see the original piles of parts and then look at the final product. The most fun of having old bikes is when people come over to you and tell you that they had one once and how great a bike it was.
You might want to check the main seals on the bottom end. How is the exhaust system? If the pipe is rusty, clean the outside and paint with high temp paint, run a chunk of chain around the inside to clean out any carbon. Repack the silencer. Replace anything rubber, polish or paint any metal exposed, grease or oil anything that moves. Recover the seat if it needs it.
Good luck

tbs3389

Aug 2, 2003
Thanks for the help. I am gonna try to the best i can to get all this done but were on a tight budget so the powder coating wont work out. We are just going to sand the bike to bare metal and put a few coats and then a clear coat on . As for the exhaust, that was cleaned with steal wool and sparyed with grill paint wich will withstand the temps. we will prolly try to get some carbon out too. Thanks again for the help

wildbill2

Mar 13, 2004
I have a problem.The PO spray painted the plastic.What is the best way to remove it?The fenders,shrouds,side panels but not the gas tank.I have been tempted to use paint remover but am afraid it will harm the plastic.Any indeas?Thanks

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
If it was sitting with out coolant and has some dirt in the bottom end, my advice spend the extra$$ and have someone split the cases and new bearings, and seals.
Cuz you'll get it together and fire it up and the motor will knock or leak coolant.
I've done 3 make overs and each time I did that and found something!
Good luck!
There's nothing cooler than when you finish it and step back and look at your work!
Presently I have a 2000 ATK 125 sitting in my living room I just restored and parked!
Joe

Woodsracer200

Mar 17, 2004
CR125,go all the way.....

tbs3389 said:
You'll be wasting what money you have unless you put a new crank in it,a 125 spends it's life wide open or parked. You do that and the only thing's you have to worry about is keeping the ring's fresh.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
The crank could be bad or maybe, it's ok. I did a 1980 Suzuki for a guy and it was a wreck when we opener 'er up, but the crank was dandy, (rod, piston, cylinder wee boat anchors!) :0 !!
Have a good shop look at it and deside what to do!
Joe :)
One word of advice, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom