Returning rider needs advice (long)

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by Truespode
Where do you live in Texas? You can post in the Places to Ride Forum about meeting up with some of the Texas DRN'ers and possibly get a test ride on a few bikes.

I'm in Dallas, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of asking people if I can ride their rides. Motorcycles are a very personal thing and I'm not really willing to go there. It's too bad I don't have friends that ride, that would be the easy answer.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Jason

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
This thread has helped me alot so far. Thanks to all who submitted things to consider.

I think that it would be wise for me to seek a KDX or an EXC as the more ideal rides, but I also know that funds and availability will be a factor. Therefore I will not stand against getting a 125 if a good deal comes along. If only I were lighter and could ride an 80 ;)

Thanks again everyone,

Jason

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Grissom29

I'm in Dallas, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of asking people if I can ride their rides. Motorcycles are a very personal thing and I'm not really willing to go there. It's too bad I don't have friends that ride, that would be the easy answer.

That is why I said to post that you wanted to meet up with some DRN'ers in the Places to Ride Forum. You can go, watch riding and have a good time. You will meet some good people and become friends.

You may not get a ride out of the deal but you will have a good time and meet good people. Eventually you will have riding friends but you have to go to where they hang out and introduce yourself.

If you are ever my way (South Carolina) let me know.

Ivan

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Michelle,

There is no longer a wife. She left my son and me last year, and that's her loss. Though she claims otherwise, I believe she would never have stood for this. The next one will need to have her own when we first meet. ;)

We are moving in February from our apartment to a town home with a garage. There is low traffic there so I will be buying him a bicycle and teaching him to ride it. When I'm comfortable with his abilities (balance), I will be buying him his first motorcycle. I look forward to spending weekends on the bikes and camping with him.

He is already excited about motorcycling because I just recently bought a street bike. I'm not sure who is more excited, me or him?

Thanks again for your input Michelle,

Jason

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Ivan,

I better understand what you mean now. I'd not considered going someplace like that unless I already had one of my own. I'll consider it, but most likely I'd feel like a fish out of water.

Since you've extended an invite, I'll gladly give you a holler if I ever visit your neck of the woods.

Jason

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Grissom, if you plan on buying your son a bike first, when you take him out to ride, there will be plenty of opportunity to ride different bikes. You will be surprised how many people are willing to let you ( and actually want you) to ride their bike to see if you like it. I know you stated how it is uncomfortable for you to do this, but don't discount this option. It can be extremely helpful in choosing the "right" bike for you. Fellow riders are always ready to help each other out.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by darringer
Grissom, if you plan on buying your son a bike first, when you take him out to ride, there will be plenty of opportunity to ride different bikes. You will be surprised how many people are willing to let you ( and actually want you) to ride their bike to see if you like it. I know you stated how it is uncomfortable for you to do this, but don't discount this option. It can be extremely helpful in choosing the "right" bike for you. Fellow riders are always ready to help each other out.

That is great to know. Fellowship and brotherhood are important in any pasttime.

I initially indicated that I might get his first, but after doing some thinking I'm going to wait until he can ride a bicycle without training wheels first.

If the opportunity presents itself, I suppose I'd try some peoples bikes. I just didn't want to be the one asking.

Thanks for your input as well

Jason

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
If you explain your situation, my bet is most riders will push you on the bike to ride. We're very proud of our own bikes, and like to show them off whenever possible!

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Hey Grissom29, welcome back to the fold.

Your story sounds very familiar. I started on an XR75 then jumped to a CR125 at about the same ages as you and moved on from bikes when I got a car license.

I can't comment on the the KDX (there are plenty here who can) but I can vouch for the KTM 250/300EXC two-strokes and the 400/450EXC four-strokes. They are great woods bikes and fairly easy to handle. The 300EXC has a bit more down low than the 250, which adds to the ease of use in more difficult terrain. They are also not as peaky as a 250 motocrosser. The four-strokes feel a bit heavier but make up for it in other ways. My personal preference is for the four-strokes but to each his own. Before making a decision, try and ride as many of the options as possible, the four-stroke scene has changed quite a bit from the TT/XT's of a few years back. Bear in mind that dirt bikes are a bit different to road bikes and a lot of people feel comfortable letting you ride their dirt bike when they wouldn't let you touch their road bike.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by darringer
If you explain your situation, my bet is most riders will push you on the bike to ride. We're very proud of our own bikes, and like to show them off whenever possible!

LOL, that's good to hear. Why oh why did I wait soooooo long to try and return?

Jason

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
IMHO,

Thanks for the info! I'm getting more and more excited by the post...

For some reason I'm still leaning to the 2 stroke, but I honestly don't have any legitimate supporting reasons for it. I just loved the 2 strokes then, and that still holds true. Perhaps part of it is that my Savage has a nice throttle, but I still want more at my disposal? I remember that hard hitting power and really enjoyed it. I just hope I can still handle it.

thanks again for your input,

Jason

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating two-stroke over four-stroke or vise-versa (that would be a grave mistake). I'm just saying "try before you buy", if you can. No matter what you buy, I don't think you'll regret getting back on the horse, especially when your kids are involved too.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by Imho
I'm not advocating two-stroke over four-stroke or vise-versa (that would be a grave mistake). I'm just saying "try before you buy", if you can. No matter what you buy, I don't think you'll regret getting back on the horse, especially when your kids are involved too.

I didn't think you were. Your just giving your opinion and I appreciate it. It's up to me to try and sort out all the opinions and figure out what applies to me.

Thanks again for your input, everyone has been very helpful so far.

Jason

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Originally posted by Grissom29
It's up to me to try and sort out all the opinions and figure out what applies to me.
Absolutely! Opinions are like a*se-holes, everyone has one. :) It's fun sorting it all out though. Nights reading forums, checking reviews, reading magazines, looking at pictures, the anticip-p-p-pation ... ah, I miss it.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by Imho
Opinions are like a*se-holes, everyone has one. :)

Heh... a friend of mine used to say "Opinions are like a*se-holes, everyone has one. And to some degree, they all stink."

The anticipation is ok... it's the fulfillment that kicks arse!

Anyways... speaking of anticipation...

Today on the way home from work I had an interesting experience. I was talking to my son about motorcycles again. He asked about my first one so I was telling him about it. About how I used to ride around our acre yard, the nieghborhood... the first time I rode around the canal of the lake we lived by... my discovery of a bull in a pen that was really pissed off at me for parking next to his pen... Suddenly while turning into our apartment complex... I totally forgot where I was. I was lost. It only took a second or two, but for a moment I could almost smell that bull, my fear, and the excitement of goosing that throttle and running away.

Those were the days... soon... again soon...

Jason

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Jason:

You and your son need to hook up with us and go to Muenster. You found us here so therefor you have elevated to the level of a friend because of interest, desire and commitment to learning and understanding. :thumb:

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by Tony Eeds
You and your son need to hook up with us and go to Muenster. You found us here so therefor you have elevated to the level of a friend because of interest, desire and commitment to learning and understanding. :thumb:

I'll take you up on that offer. I'm sure it will be quite a learning experience. I have my son every other weekend; and as a point of reference, this weekend is mine.

Feel free to email me at: jason@crashbox.org

Jason

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by Truespode
Tony is one of the nicest and most helpful guys on DRN (and in person) so I highly recommend meeting him and seeing how things go.

Ivan

Thanks for the headsup Ivan.

I wanted to tell you that I liked your website, and enjoyed watching your videos this morning!

Jason

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I think everyone you talk to will vouch that Tony is indeed a great guy :thumb:

As for the 4stroke vs 2stroke, you still seem wishy-washy there. The main differences are weight, handling, starting, and maintainance. If you go with a Honda XR, all you need to do is change the oil and clean the air filter. With a modern-day rocket fourstroke, maintainance is much more involved.

It used to be that the beauty of a 4stroke was lack of maintainance. Now, it is the other way around. That is the beauty of a two stroke-simple and easy to work on.

Just something to think about...

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Stan,

That is a very good subject that you brought up. While I am willing to learn and maintain my own machine as much as possible, I do not have past mechanical experience. It would probably be best from that standpoint to focus on simplicity.

I figure I'm going to buy a shop manual for whatever I get and do as much as I can. The local shop can earn their wage on the rest.

Thanks for pointing this out to me,

Jason

TrailDale

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 1999
FYI - I found this out the hard way.

What I found out is that riding with my daughters (9 and 13) as a parent is completely different than the riding you did as a kid. I tried riding my WR250F with the daughters on their XR70 & 80 and wore myself out. Constantly stopping, turning around, stopping, restarting, stopping again, picking up daughter #1, restarting, killing it, restarting again, where's daughter #2, she was just here?, turning around, stopping, restarting, . . .
you get the picture. It was a challenge to actually ride since the bike was always running on the hot side and all the restarting was a pain.

So I got a CRF230F with the magic button. This bike is just perfect for riding with the girls. Its a completely different experience. Trying to ride a "race bike" at a 6-year-old's pace will be a bit of a challenge.

Conclusion - until junior is a capable trail monster, riding your preferred trail bike may be less pleasurable than expected. You may need to compromise on what you ride to start with - or even consider a second bike like a dirt cheap XR200 or something like that for the days on the trail with a 6 or 7 year old.

The CRF230F is the official camp bike, and is the wife bike when she rides. Otherwise, the WR250F is just used on the buddy rides where it can be ridden at the speeds for which it was intended. Maybe a new WR with electric start would be a possibility?

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I had a modern 4 stroke and went back to the 2 stroke since you just can't beat the fun/$$. Maintenance is just so much less and easier, and the 2 stroke snap is a hoot and better for clearing logs and such.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Some people may tell you that you need to do a top end(ie piston, rings) on a two stroke every season, every so and so hours, etc...

This isn't neccesarily true. If you're an all-out racer and your looking for that .0001 horsepower that fresh rings will add after each race, then yes. If you are just a play rider on weekends, you can go much longer. On a two stroke, you can tell when it will need a top end.
Even when it does need a top end, it is something that the average "shade tree" mechanic can do. Very simplistic. No valves, cams, etc like a 4stroke.

My dad just got a new MX 4 stroke bike, and is realizing that this bike will take more maintainace. Thats just a compromise you have to make.

You're welcome to come ride at Muenster with us any time. We just had a club ride there, and are already wanting to do it again.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Traildale,

You raise another great point to consider. Here are my thoughts...

My son will most likely not get his for another year or so after talking it over with his mother. I'm going to wait for him to develop his balance on a bicycle first. That was the concession that she wanted. I don't mind doing that, and will spend time with him developing that this year.

I think what I'll do is go ahead and get what I'd like for myself first. When I get his, I'll give it all a try. If it isn't going to work out, then I'll get something to ride with him, even if it's a little bike that I only putt around with him on. Something like an old XR like you mentioned, etc...

Thanks for sharing your experience with me,

Jason

Top Bottom