Ride Gear... What to get? Where to get it?

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
I'm getting closer and closer to having my first bike and it looks like I will be picking it up tomorrow.

Regardless, I have been looking at gear everywhere and it's a little overwhelming.

I am buying a trail bike and I was wondering what gear is recommended?

I was thinking, boots, pants, jersey, gloves, helmet, goggles, and possibly a jacket?

There are thousands of choices here and I don't know what to stay away from what's a good bang for the buck, or what I really need.

I want decent quality gear but I don't need the best and I don't want to break the bank. I really just want some inexpensive gear to get me started and I'll upgrade as I go along.

Can you give me and any other dirt newbie some direction?

Thanks

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
There's a forum here for moto-related product questions.
Moved.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I get all my gear off the auction website e***. Have gotton pants and jersey combo from Thor for $55 brand new, Fox forma boots for $65, spare mx jersey for $11, New AXO chest protector for $39, New goggles for $5, new M2R revelation X replica helmet for $90,and just bought new thor gloves for $8.

As far as rating on the helmets go for riding, majority of the places require a DOT approved helmet. Almost all newer helmets now are DOT and Snell approved so you shouldn't have a problem.

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
E*** is usually good for streat gear so I'll have to find out what I want and what fits good than go try to find a deal.

Any brands to stay away from?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Check the google links at the top of this forum.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Look at gear that is last years model or clearance items on any mail order site they are usually at least half price or lower.
MXsouth is a DRN sponsor and has great deals also Bobs cycle in Minnesota has deals on new year old stuff

Be sure to get a good helmet, boots, goggles, andchest protector as priority items. Next come gloves. least priority (but important still) is riding gear.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Frontside720,

I was getting back into riding after a 15 year break and looking for quality/inexpensive gear. As said before, last years models can be bought at closeout rates. This is what I learned:

Helmet/Goggles - It should be "snell" and "dot" approved. Good features to look for are a removable liner and cheek pads. I think the best bang for the buck, $130 US, is the HJC CLX4 or equivelent. As for goggles, pick a style you like in your price range. I use Scott model 87, the foam is thinning after a year of wear and washing. I have heard good things about Scott's No Sweat model, more durable foam. They are on order for next year.

Jersey Pants and Gloves - I bought my son No Fear's Spectrum gear combo, $79 US for gloves pants and jersey. I have Thor's Phaze gear. Both are good entry level gear but I think the No Fear pants are a bit thicker. If bought separatly, gloves are in the $12-$40 US range. Look fora thin grip side with some padding on the top of the fingers and knuckes. Choose what feels good to you.

Boots - Thor T-30's seem to be a good entry level boot for around $120 US. Oneal and Gearne seem to fit a wider foot, where the Alpinestars and Oxtars seem more narrow. Almost every manufacturer has an entry, mid and top end boot. This is where I wouldn't skimp, buy the best boot you can afford. I purchased Oneals Hardware boot for $200 US. The size 13 fit my 12EEE foot.

Chest Protector - Find a design/manufactuer that you like. The key is to buy one and wear it. I prefer a model with bicep protection. If you are flexible on color, some closeouts can be found for 50% off.

Knee/elbow guards - I purchased the Fox standard guards for $11 US. Take a rock in the knee one time without them, they are a must have in my opinion. Good elbow pads can be found in the $20 US range. I prefer the velcrow elbow guards instead of the slip-ons. My fore arms are kinda big and the slip-ons feel tight, even the XL ones. The the velcrow style can be adjusted for looseness.

Here are some online sites I use. I've had good experiences with all of them.

http://www.motosport.com/index.jsp

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/Frontpage.jsp

http://www.bobscycle.com/

http://www.rockymountainmc.com/

Hope this helps, Steve.

Last edited:

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
Extremely informative Steve! Thanks for the help!!

I actually went to the shop and tried on the CLX 4 helmet. It felt pretty good. Not as nice and light as the chomium bucket with the soft insides but I think it will definately do the trick.

I checked out the Thor T-30's and the look pretty sweet. The description of them sure sounds good. I'll have to try them on.

I'm definately going to have to try on different styles and brands of pants to see what feels best. From that I'll get my size and pick up something of the net. I have no problem with closeouts. I actually really like the O'neal Element gear...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/Combo.aspx?combo=26
I like the price but i'm not sure of the quality.

Feb 20, 2004
o neal makes a good pant IMO. i have there method pants that i got at bobs cycle for 55 dollars, i like the streachy material they use in the knee area and up and down the legs. its breathable and when i wear my sixsixone knee guards they work really well. as an added bonus what i like to do in cold cold weather is throw on a pair of sweat pants underneath the pants and they stay pretty warm.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Since your in Canada keep in mind the duties, taxes and brokerage fee's to get anything shipped up from the USA when factoring in the pricing. Nothing worse when your discount gear ends up costing you way more than anticipated. That being said there are usally a ton of good deals out there to be had on discontinued gear. I've had good experiences with MXSouth, Bob's cycle supply, Rocky Mountain and Motoworld.

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
I have an adress in Florida I can ship to so I don't have to pay duty.

It's rediculas what UPS charges in brokerage fees for a shipment to Canada. It's not worth it in the end.

I'm going to the bike shop tonight to hopefully find a brand I like. I'll try on a few pairs of pants and some boots to get the right fit and see what I can find online.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Unfortunately, that's the most cost effective way to do it. Go to the local shop, and see what fits. ie ..boots, jersey, pants, gloves, helmet. Then buy it through an online distributor. It's a shame that you can buy it online cheaper. I guess local shops don't understand how to sell gear properly.

Good luck. and have fun.

Steve

Last edited:

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
You raise a good point Steve. It's just to hard for them to compete with a distributor that sells thousands of items a day. That's probably why the service rates have increased. They need to make up for loss sales somewhere.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Not sure about the US but gear prices in Canada are insane. We usually made an annual trip to the Minneapolis SX (RIP :think: ) and hit up Bob's. We could get my kid an entire set of gear usually for less than the pants alone would cost us back home exchange included.

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
I have been looking at some gear here in Toronto and it's insane. $100 for a pair of pants.

I'm really at a loss with boots because those are something you need to try on. I wish I could just order them.

I don't know what boots are good for offroading. I want to get a pair that if I have to walk, the boots would be good for it.

Toothmech

Oct 21, 2004
Oneal all the way on this end. I have had a few different brands and as far as I'm concerned, it's some of the best stuff for the money. I got a full set of Hardware gear, on E-*** for a killer deal. Just have to spend a lot of time watching the site and jump on a good deal when it comes along. Incidentally I bought the boots at a local shop on clearance for about $175, which was a steal to me, because I was looking at Alpinestars Tech8's and Oxtars, and I found the Hardware Boots to be the most comfortable for me. Oneal stuff has been hard for me to find in stores around here (Indiana and Michigan), because everybody carries Thor, but in my opinion its worth the search. I just bought a new Oneal Threat 905 helmet (which STILL hasn't gotten here) too, so I will post a report on that one when I get it. As far as places to buy online- Throttlehead.com has the best prices, but their customer service is a little shaky at times, Rocky Mountain is great too. Incidentally I just sold my old HJC ClX4 on E-*** to a guy in Quebec, and shipping was about $24, so keep that in mind when buying on the site- Good Luck!

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
Thanks for the post!

I just picked up some boots this weekend. I tried on the Thor T30, Gearne, Alpinestars Tech 4's and I found the most comfortable in my price range was the Fox Tracker. Got a good deal on last years boot.

Top Bottom