dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
This past weekend was both frustrating and rewarding. I joined FC22 out in the hills with a couple of her friends Saturday evening. We socialized and had a great time. I've missed camping so much. Sharla and I both agree that we could live in a shack out there and be completely happy. Although, I'd rather fight with a bear over a bush than use that outhouse again. :uh:

On to Sunday... my day of mixed 'emotions'. First turn (hairpin right) into the ride and I bust a clutch lever. Ok, fine... happens to a lot of people who hit the ground as often as I do. With a fixed lever, we headed out again to a different trail, further up the road. I did fine for a while... then we came to the rocky hills with some slightly sharp turns... yep, killed it in a corner and dropped it. Sure, whatever, it happens. A couple 100 yards up (hairpin left) I got stuck up on the side of the trail (would have made a great picture had I not been blocking the trail.) Ok, I told myself I could handle this... I just needed to refresh my memory on how it’s done. After Sharla's friend (who was such a sweetie for helping me as often as he did) rides my bike up the rest of that hill, I hopped on and got moving again. Rocks, roots and a few ruts were no problem and actually kind of fun. Combine them with a twisty hill and I went down a few times more. At this point I was really having a tough time convincing myself that all of the ground kissing was acceptable. For the first time on a trail ride I lost my temper over my riding. I slap myself around for a few minutes and attempt the hill again, only to loop out 20 feet up. Smacking to the ground kind of helped me snap out of my funk, but that didn’t last long. We make it past that hill and came to a section along a step slope... GREAT. I've, for the mostpart, overcome my fear of heights... except in situations where I am not in total control of how close my body gets to the edge. (This mindset grows from the fact that I am not completely confident in my riding that day.) After calling myself a sissy and a whimp I don't know how many times, I made it up and was able to collect my brain. Continuing on (feeling extremely disappointed with myself) we made it up another hill climb. I tackled it just fine (YEAH!), but see then there was this corner at the top. I reached the top going a little too fast and caught the edge of the trail, fell down, went boom. What did I do… stick my left hand out to catch my fall and jammed my ring finger (yes, that would be the clutch hand.) A little trail side first aid (zip-tied two fingers together) got me to the road and back to camp and ended my day of frustration.

The reason I call it a day of frustration is because I DO know I can ride so much better. I know to look up ahead to the next turn, I know to fan the clutch thru corners, I know to keep my feet on the pegs. What pisses me off the most is that I allowed the frustration to get the better of me and ruin what could have been a great day of riding. The rewarding part of this weekend is that I could see where I AM improving and in the end that makes all of the frustration worthwhile. I may not walk away from some of my rides as happy as I would like to be, but I make sure I return as soon as possible to try it again.

To make my report worth reading: For those of you that are just starting out on two wheels, or maybe you’ve been riding for a while and feeling a little frustrated DON'T GIVE UP! You do get better. I know this for a fact. It just takes practice and determination.

Now bring on that ridge trail! :yikes: :aj:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
You did fine. You just need to get out here some more! Fan the clutch, use the throttle, lug second some, and don't wrestle with the bike. You did fine through some other tough sections so you can do it.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Good ride report, Diane! You have more guts than I do-- I'm too embarrassed to post about my bad rides, and just want to forget them.

Sometimes, the problem for me is when I go ride with "new" people-- I want to do well but end up riding like an idiot even though I know I can do better.

Keep up the practice, it WILL get better! And I think trailside temper tantrums are something we're all familiar with...just ask my husband. :ohmy:

Dede

May 23, 2004
Your ride report was worth reading even without the last few sentences (even though that did help me,a beginner rider, out with your encouragement :) ). I think what I like most about your report is your determination to get right back out and give the trail another shot. I'd be interested to hear about how that goes. Good luck! You can do it! :)

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Yes, ma'am. Hopefully my shiney new bark busters come in tomorrow. I see that my new clutch cable and the clip for the carb will be arriving tomorrow. :yeehaw:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
After this past weekend I feel confident enough to attempt tackling Canada again. ;) Ride report to come... after a hot shower and a good nights sleep.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
:) Sorry, haven't had time to finish it. I'll try to post it tonight.

Top Bottom