Krabill

May 10, 2006
I had the ride stealth linked in my sig on a few other m/c boards to help get the word out and come to find out . . . it's gone???? :whoa:

Whatzupwitdat??? Did you give up? Don't care anymore? Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Krabill

May 10, 2006
It was a website basically asking fellow motorcyclists to stay away from loud exhausts. We're trying to keep as many riding areas open as possible as they slowly slip away and loud bikes do nothing to improve our image.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It died due to lack of interest. Sad, but true.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Okie, I have to admit to you, I really wanted to buy a BUNCH of stickers, to distribute far & wide. But I learned, about 35 years ago, from my dad, that the word "sucks" is, indeed, considered by some people as very offensive.

I did indeed contemplate this for quite a while; ultimately deciding that I didn't want to use something that some people might consider offensive to express my objection to what I feel to be offensive.

I am truely sorry that the interest was not there. I have even considered printing my own "LOUD STINKS!" stickers. It really is a good, and necessary, message.

Krabill

May 10, 2006
SpDyKen said:
Okie, I have to admit to you, I really wanted to buy a BUNCH of stickers, to distribute far & wide. But I learned, about 35 years ago, from my dad, that the word "sucks" is, indeed, considered by some people as very offensive.

I did indeed contemplate this for quite a while; ultimately deciding that I didn't want to use something that some people might consider offensive to express my objection to what I feel to be offensive.

I am truely sorry that the interest was not there. I have even considered printing my own "LOUD STINKS!" stickers. It really is a good, and necessary, message.

If you're worried about being offensive, go with the "ride stealth" tag line instead ;)

I tend to like "loud sucks" myself just because I want it to get attention, but "ride stealth" is pretty darn cool, too. "Stinks" just sounds kind of childish to me.

my .02 - take it for what it's worth.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
1.) How many people does it take to "make an interest"?

2.) Why not offer both? (LOUDSUCKS/RIDESTEALTH)

Heck, when I go to a rock concert (do they still call them that? ;)) I can get at least four different t-shirts of the band. If we're just talking stickers/ways to promote a message and not some major invention with industrial tooling, seems pretty easy to offer more than one option.

Was the website a way to promote faqs and information regarding how to lower sound, implications to racers/riders/laws? (My friends race/train with earplugs so I know the message is ready to be heard, so to speak.)

What else did you want to accomplish? Did the website offer interactive games or something? Did you feel it would require a ton of maintenance? It seems you write up the information then get linked to every track and dnr forest service site in the country with the message and your mission is half accomplished. Get vendors at the local level on board and there ya go.

Sorry, former naive Nader crusader. lol.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Krabill said:
If you're worried about being offensive, go with the "ride stealth" tag line instead ;)

I tend to like "loud sucks" myself just because I want it to get attention, but "ride stealth" is pretty darn cool, too. "Stinks" just sounds kind of childish to me.

my .02 - take it for what it's worth.
I agree with you, 100%, on the "Ride Stealth" tag line being perfect! Best I can remember, the stickers, read "Loud Sucks! Ride Stealth".

I personally, do not have an issue with the word "sucks." My memory of my Dad's reaction to it, when I was around 14 or 15, however, is still crystal clear!

As an adult, and parent, myself, I am free to choose to speak as I wish. I have learned to try and choose my words more carefully, to both clearly and effectively communicate my thoughts, as well as attempt to set a reasonable example for my children.

To summarize, I completely and 100% supported the goals and mission of the Ride Stealth campaign and would like to see it continue, with my full support, in some way or fashion. I hope this discussion leads to a viable solution to continue the efforts, with even greater success. I simply made the decision that the stickers were not the appropriate way for me to support the campaign.

Okie, please let us know if there is anything we can do to help!

Thanks for everyone's efforts! :cool: Ken W.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I notice the forums on that page became very slow and I'm sure it was costing money to host. If it was on a free hosting site would that help?

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
SpDyKen said:
I personally, do not have an issue with the word "sucks." My memory of my Dad's reaction to it, when I was around 14 or 15, however, is still crystal clear!
My father was cast out of the same mold it would seem...I am still amazed how fast that man was when needed to get a holt of me. :whoa:

I need another shirt or two....

IMO, Ride Stealth causes people to stop and enquire.... In contrast, "loud Sucks" has the same impact as "Shut the F--k Up" Albeit, both are "in your face" slogans-they just don't seem to foster further meaningful conversation.

Count me in as a supporter!

Ken

Krabill

May 10, 2006
Well, then how about instead of a whole forum and the relate fees that go with it, just a simple web page with a mission statement and possibly a couple different stickers and t-shirts for sale on it? It would require little to no maintenance once it is up and running and would give those of us who want to spread the word a viable page to link to?

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
knowiam said:
My father was cast out of the same mold it would seem...I am still amazed how fast that man was when needed to get a holt of me. :whoa:

I need another shirt or two....

IMO, Ride Stealth causes people to stop and enquire.... In contrast, "loud Sucks" has the same impact as "Shut the F--k Up" Albeit, both are "in your face" slogans-they just don't seem to foster further meaningful conversation.

Count me in as a supporter!

Ken
Yup, Ken, one of my childhood friends still brings up my Dad's speed from time to time when I see him. Then, while he NEVER struck anyone with his bare hand, that I saw or heard about, ever, there WAS the fact that he was a 3-time Golden Glove boxing champion, who lost a split decision in the final match of the U.S. Olympic tournament. :cool: :boss:

We've been great friends now for many years; but we had some difficult years when I was in school. I'm lucky to still have him around at 84. I get him to ride the XR 80 around at least once a year, to remind him of what he is still capable of! :nod: :ride:

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
knowiam said:
Bingo.

Krabill said:
Well, then how about instead of a whole forum and the relate fees that go with it, just a simple web page with a mission statement and possibly a couple different stickers and t-shirts for sale on it?g It would give those of us who want to spread the word a viable page to link to?

:nod:

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
I see that the loudsucks.com site is still up but there is no sound information on it. Could that part of it at least be brought back? I have my loud sucks sticker on the window of my truck and I wear my t-shirts at every event to carry the message. I've had quite a few people ask about it and that gave me the opportunity to educate some. Just because there wasn't direct activity on the site (I hadn't been there in many months because my bike is already quiet and I'm doing my best to carry the message) doesn't mean it wasn't accomplishing anything.

MotoBill

Feb 22, 2008
Simple Question:

What do we have to do to bring that site back. Is it even an option? It is a constant battle - and that site WAS a valuable tool that I used at the dealership to help educate riders and racers. The information there was irreplaceable. If you are not using it can I have it?

And for what it's worth - here in the middle of Wisconsin, the home of H-D and Open Pipe Heavy Bikes, it is a battle. The term "LoudSucks" was abattle cry that my customers understand. Don't give up.

Feb 12, 2008
whats with all the talk, lets do something about it
the myspace thing sounds legit, also, if someone has a buddy in the sign making business then lets get those stickers made. ill have my entire rear window plastered with them

anybody have any friends willing to help out fellow riders trying to create a better riding world?

digifox

May 25, 2006
i can see a "noise ordinance" or Curfew
But banning a bike from being ridden. . .

If you ask me that goes against what "freedom" -Stands- Stood for
Who are you to tell me what i can and can not do?

Thats like telling people they can only drive Hybrids. . . .

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
I'm 14 and used to think that loud is better. I forget who, Pred maybe, turned me to the site and helped me understand.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom