oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Prayers go out to this riders family and friends
http://mariettatimes.com/page/content.detail/id/505712.html?nav=5025

MHS grad dies in motocross accident
By Kevin Pierson, kpierson@mariettatimes.com
POSTED: July 30, 2008

All his life Ray Lang loved things that went fast and high.

Whether it was racing motocross, riding BMX bikes, hitting the slopes on snowboards or flying an airplane, if it was fast and high it had a place in Lang's heart.

Sadly, the things that Lang loved most in life also claimed it.

Lang, 40, a 1986 graduate of Marietta High School, was killed in an accident during the 27th annual Air Nautiques/AMA Amateur National Motocross Championships at Loretta Lynn's Ranch in Tennessee Tuesday morning.

"He just loved doing this. He just loved living life and having a good time," said an emotional Jackie Lang, Lang's mother.

After graduating from Marietta High School Lang attended The Ohio State University and moved out West, residing in Wheat Ridge, Colo., near Denver until his death Tuesday.

Lang had qualified in the Vet 35+ and Vet 40+ classes for the Amateur National Motocross Championships.

A year ago Lang finished 33rd in the Vet 35+ and 28th in the Vet B-C 30+ classes at the same event.

Jackie Lang attended last year's championship with her son, but did not attend this year.

"I didn't go down. He raced last year and I was down there and because it was so hot and this year he was staying in a pop-up camper and I thought with all the dirt and the mud and the heat and everything, I thought with everything that it would cost to go down there I'd rather fly out to Denver and see him," Jackie Lang said.

Unable to attend this year's competition, Jackie Lang learned of the accident through a phone call from Teri Deem, after her husband Joe, who was serving as Ray Lang's mechanic at the event, called her.

"I always feared this day would happen," Jackie Lang said.

Suffering the accident while competing in his first race, part of the six day championships, Lang was transported to Three Rivers Hospital in Waverly, Tenn. with head and internal injuries, his mother said.

Officials with Three Rivers declined to provide any information on the accident, saying they legally could not release any patient information over the phone.

An official accident report filed by the Humphrey County Sheriff's Department could not be obtained as deputies with the department could not be reached Tuesday evening.

Lang never married. Funeral preparations are under way with Cawley & Peoples Funeral Home in Marietta.

Tentative plans are for Lang's body to be cremated with a service Monday evening at Cawley & Peoples on Front Street.

"He was a great kid," Jackie Lang said of her son.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
That is very sad and unfortunate. My thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time.

Top Bottom