rxbandit

Apr 23, 2005
I'm trying to put together a trip this summer with a whole group of friends about 15 people or so. I'm trying to find a place for us to camp. There are only going to be 4-5 riders. The rest are just going to camp. I want to find a place where we can do some fishing maybe, hopefully at least some shooting and a lake or stream to swim in. We will be coming from the bay area and chico, ca. So i was thinking of something maybe in Norcal costal mountains area? I wouldn't object to Oregon though. Something that won't be to toasty in the summer heat. I was also thinking that it would be good if it wasn't a very popular spot for camping or a place with lots of room since there is going to be so many of us.

Last edited:

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
With all those things you mentioned I think you just ruled out anything in california. Everything here is either to regulated, crowded or private property.Travel back in time about 20 years and you will find some good spots.

Sorry, I know this isnt helpful at all, but at least it bumped it.

hillsNtrails

Mar 31, 2006
Recommendation

Well I agree with slickpuss...

I can however, offer a suggestion. Stonyford. It is one of the best places to ride in CA (in my opinion), it is very central to the areas that your group are coming from, but lacks the other activities that you desire.

hillsNtrails

russ95678

Aug 6, 2002
Yeah Stonyford has camps, streams, and maybe fishing

Not sure how high the streams are during the summer, but its a Great ride. It's got a lake as well some where inside.
Russ.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Again I recommend Stonyford as well. That place has some of the best trails around and some amazing views. it has several camp areas as well. Everything from wide hillside ledge trails to tight single track up in the higher elevations. If you have some skilled riders in the group they have some very challenging Black Diamond difficulty trails, very steep up and down for miles and miles but tons of fun, and they will take you up to some spectacular views. I am originally from the East Coast and I have only rode Stonyford 1 time, I ride primarily motocross but it was the best, most challenging trail ride I have ever been on. We started our ride in late February it was about 60 degrees at the staging area and when we eventually got to the upper elevations and the summit of one of the peaks it was about 45 degrees and there was still 6 inches of snow covering the trails it was a great ride to say the least. The only thing missing from your plan there is probably the shooting I dont think they allow any of that up there and the camping may be crowded depending on the days of the week.

89kxrider

Apr 5, 2006
thats one of the reasons i moved to northern idaho its all fresh cops just wave to you when iam on the streets, and iam on a kx 250 . fishing hunting and riding love it, and iam from so cal

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
dirt bike dave said:
On the District 36 board there is a thread stating that the road into Stonyford was damaged by recent storms. Please verify the road is open again before you go up there!

Also they close the park to riding for a certain number of hours after significant rainfall, the length of the closure depends on the amount of the rainfall and it has been awhile since I referenced these figures so I am not sure what they are off hand. But it is always a good idea to call the rangers office up there before heading out.

hillsNtrails

Mar 31, 2006
I was just on the phone with the ranger on duty at Stonyford. There are currently two issues keeping the area closed.

1) Road damage/repair caused by rain.

2) Continuous rainfall. The ranger told me that there needs to be 48 hours of no rain inorder for the riding trails to open.

I was looking to take a trip up there in early May. She said that Stonyford should be open for riding by then. Of course she recommended that I call before I make the drive.

Here is the tel. number - Davis Flat, Stonyford Ranger District, 5080 Ladoga-Stonyford, Stonyford, CA 95979, (530) 963-3128. MC, 4WD, ATV, DB.

Camping is on a first come first serve basis, no reservations. Stonyford is some of the absolute best riding in the U.S. It tends to stay damp and tacky for much of the season. There is beginner level terrain, but plenty of itermediate to advanced skill levels.

If anyone is interested in a weekend trip to Stonyford in May click here: http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?p=1047319#post1047319

hillsNtrails

Last edited:

hillsNtrails

Mar 31, 2006
Places to ride in CA

rxbandit said:
I'm trying to put together a trip this summer with a whole group of friends about 15 people or so. I'm trying to find a place for us to camp. There are only going to be 4-5 riders. The rest are just going to camp. I want to find a place where we can do some fishing maybe, hopefully at least some shooting and a lake or stream to swim in. We will be coming from the bay area and chico, ca. So i was thinking of something maybe in Norcal costal mountains area? I wouldn't object to Oregon though. Something that won't be to toasty in the summer heat. I was also thinking that it would be good if it wasn't a very popular spot for camping or a place with lots of room since there is going to be so many of us.

Mr. rx,

You might find this site helpful. It is a list of all OVH/Dirtbike riding areas in California, complete with contact numbers.

http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes/Where2Go/California_Riding_Areas.html

Hope it helps,

hillsNtrails

Top Bottom