duke

Oct 9, 1999
In having just recently viewed Gary Semics tape on the history of MX, I decided to get the opinon of other vintage enthusiats and see what their opinion was of the riding styles of yesterdays champions. DeCoster had one of the smoothest, if not boring styles to watch. While American riders, cut and thrust, throwing up rooster tails of dirt, DeCoster simply appeared to trail riding, rarely moving about his bike. Funny despite the fact that these era riders violated many of todays "sacred principles" of rider technique, they went incredibly fast. Another guy worthy of mention was Arnie Nils Nilson, a Husky enginear and factory rider. He raced the 125 class. While being smooth too, his most noted attribte was how relaxed he was. Other riders would be getting tense before the race, while Nilson would almost fall asleep.

As for one of the best riders not being recognised for his talents: Jeroslav Falta. This guy was still winning GP's in the late seventies on the then decrepid CZ's!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
And I thought I was the only one who noticed how great Falta was.

------------------
'00 Honda XR400
'73 Maico MC400 (most of it anyway)
'73 CZ 380
'70 Bultaco Sherpa T
Vintage Dirt Home Page

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
As a kid I attended a Jim Pomeroy riding school and I still think of things I learned. The truth of the matter is the details were the same as the Tony D. school I attended last year. I give both Jim and Tony 2 thumbs up.

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
Duke,

Didn't Marty Tripes win the first race in the LA Coliseum? Actually I think he won the first two years in a row.

Greg

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I think Whoops is right. Tripes won the first two colliseum races and Falta won the third. I'll have to check my VMX magazine back issues. I believe it was #9 that had the excellent Falta story.

------------------
'00 Honda XR400
'73 Maico MC400 (most of it anyway)
'73 CZ 380
'70 Bultaco Sherpa T
Vintage Dirt Home Page

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Your right, Tripes did when the first two. Falta won in 74 I think. Its been to long and my memory doesnt always serve me that well

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Its rumored that Falta is going to be a VMD West on a CZ! in April.

------------------
AMA Lifer
Aztalan Cycle Club VP
AHRMA #10H
98YZ400f
74KX450's
75 Rokon
350 Bridgestone
Road Toad & others

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR