2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Hey everyone. I live in Tulsa and wife is going to let me take bike camping/riding next week during my vacation. Any recommendations?? I have a 1976 Honda Elsinore MR250 (basically a CR with bigger tank, flywheel and 20 extra pounds). I recently rebuilt the engine and rejetted the carb, but I've found really tight trails aren't too good as I need to keep up a little speed and RPMs since this is air-cooled and tends to foul plugs if I go too slow for too long. I've tried Appalachia Bay and decided I hate sand. I went out to the track near 56th N. and Mingo once, but the guy on the bulldozer told me I could only ride Tuesday nights and that never seems to work for me. I heard Stillwater has a good place, but don't know anything about it and whether I could sleep in tent for one night. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
the riding area at stillwater is known as "the 500". at least one of the spodes will be there just about any given weekend.
they should be chiming in shortly.

one note of warning-they are all honda haters (except me). :debil:

okieguy

Apr 3, 2002
You can always do camp gruber, it has some rocks but the trails have been widened by 4 wheelers so they would be plenty fast.

It is over by Muskogee, about an hour from Tulsa.

Guy

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Camping, swimming, fishing, hiking and bicycling available at Lake McMurtry, west of Stillwater. User fees are collected. Close by to the '500', for the MR250. (Jay, I love my wife's '86 Reflex.....Honda!)
McMurtry is small, clean and well run by the City of Stillwater. Wife and I head out there periodically for recreation.

"For camping this lake offers a total of 20 improved campsites, ten in each recreation area. The east recreation campground has ten sites with electricity, water, picnic tables and barbecue grills. A skylighted restroom with flush toilets and dump station is located nearby. The west recreation campground has six sites with electricity and water in one loop and four sites with water on another loop. A flush toilet restroom is located between these two campgrounds. Also on the west side is the RV dump station. Camping reservations are taken between April 1st and October 31st for individual campers. Groups may reserve any time of the year. Phone Lake McMurtry at (405) 747-8085 to make reservations. This is the only municipal lake that offers camping. Boating at any of the lakes requires a state and city boating permit. This applies to wind surfers as well. Jet skis, water bikes, and water skiing are not permitted on any of the City lakes. Boaters must have coast guard approved life jackets for each passenger in the vessel. The maximum speed for a motor boat is 25 mph. The west boat ramp provides access to the south coves and dam. The east ramp provides access to the island, north coves, and upper creek. The lake has many fingers and coves to explore with a small boat or canoe. Fishing and boating is prohibited in the duck blind area on hunting days. These are Wed., Thur., Sat., and Sunday during duck hunting season. Lake McMurtry has one of the few overnight hiking trails in the state, as well as day hikes along the shore or in the wooded areas. A hiking map of the area can be picked up at the Bait Shop on the west side of the lake. Fishing at any of the City lakes requires a valid state license and a City permit. Those over age 65 or aged 16 and younger, are not required to possess a City permit. Fishermen are limited to a maximum of two fishing poles. Trot lines, jug lines, netting, or other similar forms of fishing are not allowed. Largemouth bass, sand bass, channel cat, and crappie are the dominant fish species in the lake. The west recreation area has an indoor fishing dock for those cool and windy days."

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
mx547 said:
one note of warning-they are all honda haters (except me). :debil:
No, just Honda of Tulsa Hater! :p

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Thanks for the great info guys. BSwift, I heard the same thing from a few people, but that place has actually been more helpful than Green Country for finding old parts and ordering things for me. Of course, I haven't spoken to a salesman about buying a bike, either. Just the parts counter. About half the time I ride in the field behind Green Country. Gets kind of boring really quickly though.

Top Bottom