yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Is there any trick to riding with a passenger on the back? I always have a hard time getting comfortable when I'm riding on the back or driving somebody. Someone out there must have a trick for this. Thanks for the help.

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
It is very unsafe for you and the pasenger to ride on a dirt bike. They are not designed to have the weght that far back on the bike and it will hinder you ability to steer and control your bike. DON'T DO IT! If you are talking about street riding on a street bike i apologize before hand. I went by the bikes listed on the bottom of your post.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Danny I ride my CR with a passenger. I don't really want to, but I have to go like 3/4 of a mile from my house through lots of tall grass and creeks, so it isn't easy or practical for somebody to walk that far in full MX gear.

Bob Tiley

Aug 7, 2001
I don't think there is a trick as YZ eater said an MX bike is not designed for passengers. I just ride slow until I get where we are going, then ride alone and take turns on my bike.

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
Sorry, Thought you meant going riding with a passeger on the back. I can understand you delima now, in that situation i would probly do the same thing you do. As a matter of fact i have done something like that many times riding my 320 pound freind home (in first gear i might add). Just ride slow, and hopefully, all will be well.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Whenever I need to carry a passenger, I let them have the pegs. If they are wearing boots, put your feet on top of theirs. If not, you can wrap your feet up around and put your boots on the front fender. If your legs aren't long enough for this, rest your calves on top of the radiator shrouds.

Danny...if I had a 320 lbs friend, I think I'd let him take the bike and I'd walk! :o Hey, what part of NC? Any chance of making it to Shelby for this Saturday night's MX/SX?

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
I wish I could make it, i am to young to drive and dad wont take me. If i got there i could not race, I ride a kdx and i am 240 pounds myself. And by the way, I would never, ever let that boy drive my bike. I gave him a 1970 cl 350 to learn how to ride on. And now the only way he gets to ride it is if i come over and fix all the many things he has broken. He does not understand how to not break things or the fact that it is not a good idea to ride a twin cylinder after you take one carberator and both air filters off. By the way, i live in Liberty. It is about a thiry minute drive from greensboro. Have fun at the races!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
yzeater.

I have packed my wife double on many different trails. Have also packed several injured horse and mountain bike riders out of the hills behind my house. The only suggestion I can offer is to sit as far up front on the bike as possible and like Gomer said, let the passenger use the pegs. On my XR I added a set of passenger pegs on the back that I can un-bolt when not in use.

A few years ago, my wife and I rode to an area called Sespe hot springs in the Las Padres National forest. We started from Gorman and our route included, Gold Mine trail, Piru creek, Miller jeep trail and Snowy trail. All packing double and we only crashed once.:scream:

Fortunately, my wife is a petite little package and also a very experienced horse rider. Most of the time, I couldn't even tell she was back there.

Last edited:

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
I don't have a problem with riding someone on the back of my bike or riding on the back of someone else's bike. Now I'm not talking about going out & rippin' it up or anything like that, but Thom & I always ride double to go to race sign ups for the fact that my bike has a kick stand and his doesn't. When he rides me, I simply wrap my legs around his waist. When I ride him, he puts his boots on the foot pegs & I put my feet on top of his. We also always ride double to go pick up riders starting crates, etc., because that way the person on the back can hold the crate. When we drop the truck off at pit row, we have no other choice than to ride double to get back to the trailer. Also, my sister doesn't ride & I'm not going to leave her sitting at camp all day, and I don't see anything wrong with taking her for a slow scenic ride, and we always wear all the protective gear. I would NEVER jeopardise somebody else's safety or sue a land owner if I got hurt on their property, but I have to admit that when Thom takes me for a ride on the back of his bike it is an adrenaline rush.....I think he pushes me a little, but I do the same to him when he is on the back of my bike--it is all in fun. :) To me, it's the little things like that that make life so enjoyable.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'm curious as to how a dual sport bike compares to a dirtbike. They are obviously designed for two passengers as they come equipped with buddy pegs, so what's the problem with this on a normal dirtbike. The suspension appears to be the same. I'm guessing that they meant passengers for on road use only, but short distances offroad seem to be do-able, and thoughts?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
SMB.

Most riders use XR type dirtbikes and convert them to street use. These are not designed to be ridden two up. The bikes you buy from your dealer as dual sports are actually enduro type bikes and are more designed for street than dirt and most have passenger pegs.

Dirtbikes can be ridden double, but, like said, you have to ride right up on the gas tank and your passenger has to ride close to you to balance the bike out.

I've done a lot of riding with my wife on the back, I don't know if I would try it with someone like,,,,,say,,,,aaaaahhh, GOMER:scream: But, it can be done. You would have to ask Okie or Thump or one of those other guys about that.

Just my $ .02

Top Bottom