Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
The more people I talk to the more I realize that this problem is not only mine. I have a real hard time with any right turn. Is there anyway to learn how to do them better without haveing to go to a track? I really need to learn how to do these better!

------------------
Irish MXer
Mike McCasland
00'CR250 #59

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I have the same problem... it was funny, I was thinking back to all of my crashes - more like bike lay overs - in the '99 season and 90% of them were in right hand corners. For me, I think I just hate giving up having my foot over that back brake lever. But maybe there's more to the problem - I would love to hear some advice on this... turning an aggressive right-hander.

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32N
2000 D17 Women's Motocross Champion
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, FMF, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
For me it is because of the right foot/brake lever issue too. I dump way more on the left side of the bike, but mostly because I usually turn to the left when riding in open terrain, because I am better at it. I have troubles using the front brake too, I just don't like to do it. I use it almost exclusively on my street bike, but it just doesn't carry over for me. What it finally took for me was to go out and run a bunch of powersliding circles on a wet sand left in the left hand direction, and take note of form. I then applied that same form to create a right handed turn position. Weird feeling, for sure. I then ran a bunch of right handed circle slides, and went back to lefts, alternating about every 5 complete circles. Then I went to figure eights to work on the transition. I spent about two hours just riding in circles... Time well spent, as I think I improved more in one day than I have in a long time. Practice practice practice. I have heard that the pros barely use the rear. you might think about taking off your brake lever (IN A SAFE ENVIRONMENT) and practicing turning. It will force you to use the front, and will negate the "need" to have a foot over the pedal all the time, as it won't do anything. Do this at your own risk, and reconnect it before trying anything like a track or trail riding... Just do it someplace open and flat to practice fast turning. I say open because you are not committed to a line, and there are usually not any ruts. You can pick a line, and learn how the bike responds without being forced to do something because of an outside influence like a track.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Button’s got the right approach. I have a hard time with right handers too and you have to get used to not using the rear brake. I don’t know about disconnecting the pedal but it sure would teach you about using the front brake :eek:

Practice, practice, practice.

Good luck

------------------
Did I do the double?
Ah,um...Sure did. I was right behind you!
My Pictures

GaryKTM200

Dec 5, 2000
I suppose this may be better suited for a bigining rider but who knows. I am a 3rd year slow old guy. One thing I do is ride in figure 8's in my yard while standing. Trying all the while to go faster. The neighbors probably think I'm crazy. But I'm riding and they are sitting on the porch. Which would you want to do? ;)

Gary

yamadawg

Dec 1, 2000
Buttonfly is right.I learned to take right hand turns by removing my rear brake lever.I race hare scrambles and it improved my skill in the woods three fold.This will also greatly improve your feel of the front brake.

It wont be long before you are riding above the limits of your front brake and will be looking for a fastline brake line kit.It will also help your right hand turn posture and body position.

------------------
it dont hurt till the bone shows.

2001 YZ 250

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'll have to give that a try (removing the rear brake lever). Thanks for the help.

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32N
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, FMF, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
set up a couple of barrels, and start doing fugure 8's around them. also going around in one direction and then change to the other. The farther apart you have them, the more speed you'll carry into them, so start with them closer and work out. If possible, if there's a hill side near buy, start at the base and move the barrels up the hill as you go, this will give you practice on off cambers. The more you do this , the faster you will be able to go around corners! :)

------------------
AMA Lifer
Aztalan Cycle Club VP
AHRMA #10H
98YZ400f
74KX450's
75 Rokon
350 Bridgestone
Road Toad & others

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
"OFF-CAMBERS" - my worst enemy!!! Great advice.. thanks. Any other off-camber advice other than practice, practice, practice?

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32N

[This message has been edited by nikki (edited 03-02-2001).]

Kramer

Jan 19, 2000
other advice, be smoooooooth! smoother is faster in most any situation, but especially off camber & limited traction situations.

Ride like pudding, or if you're really good, whipped cream :D

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Well... first race of the year this weekend and I was battling for first..... until I dumped it in a rutted right hander. That's it... the brake lever is coming off this Saturday and I am going to learn to use that front brake and turn a right hander the right way.

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32N

yamadawg

Dec 1, 2000
Nikki
When you get used to riding with the front brake you will also learn that dragging the front brake slightly will also help keep the front end tracking well and be keep it more stable.Got that off a pro riding tip.Helps me stay more confident in right handers..Good luck and Good riding.....

------------------
it dont hurt till the bone shows.

2001 YZ 250

Top Bottom