SquirrelyQ

Aug 4, 2007
hey, i have an 87 cr125 and after a day of riding yesterday i realized that my rear tire was begining to slip off the bead. i figured id just get a new set of rims and new tires (since the tires were wearing out and the back rim is kinda bent). i made a phone call and found out for two used rims and two used tires it would be about $500 :whoa: i decided that id drop the front rim(sense its not in bad condition) and just pick up a set of used tires and a new back rim well thats still almost 300 dollars, so i looked on eBay<3 and found a FRONT rim...... sooooooo i was wondering if i could get that front rim and make it a BACK rim.... which would save lotsa greeeeeen :cool:

thanks
Devin

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
it's not hard to put spokes in. Truing your wheel is a bit of a challenge, though.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
SquirrelyQ said:
is it hard to put spokes in rims?

Lacing a wheel isn't hard, but truing a wheel is best left to someone with a jig and experience. I'll do everything on any of my bikes, with the exception of truing wheels and working on the valves.

BigSwole

Jun 8, 2004
I sent you a PM back. Like I said, it's not hard to lace them or true them. It just takes time. Best way I've found to do it is put the axle in a vise, nut side so you don't damage it. Take a small wire or something that you can position somewhere where it's in contact or close to the rim. You have to constanly spin the rim to see where the bad spots are. Then start working on tighting the spokes up. If you start to get a bow in one area, tighten or losen the other side and the rim will pull back. Like I said, it's not hard, just takes a long time. I spent 3-4 hours on my back rim last time I did it.

Another way to do it is tighten all your spokes up equal. Not real tight, just barely snug, then spin the rim and start working on the bad spots. Both ways work, just takes alot of time, did I say it takes alot of time?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
SquirrelyQ said:
hey, i have an 87 cr125 and after a day of riding yesterday i realized that my rear tire was begining to slip off the bead.

I'm confused, is there any other reason to replace the rear rim other than the bead slipped? Perhaps the rim lock is loose or needs replacing?

SquirrelyQ

Aug 4, 2007
the rims bent, not terribly, but im restoring the bike so as things go wrong i fix them, so i figured i might as well take care of the back rim and get new tires and while im at my back rim ill do my front rim.... so ..... yea, i could prob get away w. just rebeading the tire or gettin new ones but while im doin tht i figure why not just kill two birds w. one stone and empty my wallet at the same time haha.

Top Bottom