JayPak

Jan 14, 2003
It's looking like Shady has seen it's last days. I have heard that it is closed - and might open. But, from the sounds of things, it won't be open back up anytime soon.

I know most of you guys here HATE SG, but it is still sad anytime we loose a riding area.

R.I.P. Shady Grove.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Read that earlier myself. Well, on the positive side the chances of food poisoning in the DFW area should decrease.

Looks like Charlie is pretty much SOL.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Just great! We are losing tracks and some of the one's that remain are raising their practice fees by 50%. :|

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
N. Texas is rapidly becoming way too urban. To ride ya gotta drive for a while, and with gas prices climbing that part sucks too.

I miss the good old days where there were actually local places to ride :(

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I know Mosier will this weekend and heard that Badlands will too.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Maybe you guys up the the north TX area should consider a facility like we have in Waco. Our track is a non-profit organization. We hold monthly meeting (except in December), have a board of directors etc. etc..It works pretty well except for the type of dirt it is, hard pack stuff. We have a MX track, a very small pee wee track, a short woods loop, oval short track and a half mile flat track. They hold several National flat track events each year and that's where most of the money for the club comes in. We have MX races once a month and the rest of the time it's open riding. First year membership is $100 per family and every year after the renewal is $50., not bad for the entire family. There is free camping to members all the time and non members on race weekends. The track is locked at all times and is available to members only except on race days.
I know our land is paid for but you have to start somewhere. This is the oldest track and motorcycle club operating in TX and maybe the USA, it was founded in 1934. It's perfect for when you just gotta ride. :aj:

B

biglou

Why did Shiny Groove close? Noise? Money?

Man, I had the priviledge of riding there back in 02 with David (the day before that timebomb Billy left in his motor went off...). I even ate some of the local cuisine. What was it, $5 to ride, and I ate about $8 worth of chicken!

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
The explanation from another site:

"Here is what I have heard. Charley's mother owned a total of 93 acres which included the dump, the house, the nursery and the track. In her will (which was actually established when Charley's dad was alive) each one of the kids get 10% of the land. Charlie has 9 brothers and sisters some of which do not live in Texas. When momma was alive she was not sharp enough to know any better then to just let Charley run the track, cook the meat and collect the money. Now that momma has passed on each of the 9 brothers and sisters now own 10 acres of the 93 acres. My understanding is that none of them other than Charley have any interest in the track. Now if you became the proud owner of 10 acres of prime land in Dallas and had no interest in having a track on it and lived in Minnisota, what would you do with it. Charley has told me he has the option of buying out his siblings to keep the track going, but has no where near the kind of money it would take to do so. I would sure hate to see it go especially cuz the food was better then the track and was free.... It may not look good for the future of the track though. If all the brothers and sisters want out and want to sell their portion the place is history. That would be a shame...."

I'm not so sure of the "Prime Land" reference. 2/3 (or more) of that land is a freakin flood plain. :laugh:

It's not uncommon for the track to be completely under water after a significant rain event.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
The fat lady hasn't started singing yet, but the future doesn't look too good for ole Shallow Grave now...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Actually if most of the property is in floodplain that could be a good thing for Charlie. It would significantly drive down the value of the property because it can't be developed without significant cost. Engineering fees to determine what kind of improvements need to be made and then lots of select fill material, an engineering study of how the revised channel route would effect both up and downstream properties, structural engineering for a flood wall....

JayPak

Jan 14, 2003
I got this off another forum - it might not me closed for good: (http://www.mxcrazy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343&goto=newpost)

let's not get ahead of things just yet. i was bored at lunch, big surprise, and decided to drive out to shady to get the status.

bad news: it is closed.
good news: it is temporary.

Fact: Charlie's mother passed away leaving the inheritance to all siblings, 10 in this case. While they do want a piece of the profit they do NOT want the track closed. In fact the reason it's closed now is liability concerns. Charlie had no previous liability insurance to protect himself from potential lawsuits (which have occured out there). Now the land ownership is divided amonst 10 people instead of 1 person, making all 10 liable in the event of a lawsuit. So Charlie is currently seeking liability insurance and will re-open soon as he gets a policy.

It remains to be seen what the profit sharing will do to the track availability. I doubt Charlie will want to split the profit 10 ways. That being said, the profit can't be much. Wonder what the taxes run on that place considering it's a floodplain? Anyhoo, Fuggy posted the contact number so those that are interested will need to call it to get further updates. I was not giving an ETA on re-opening.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The taxes could be higher than they need to be depending how good the local tax authority is about noticing things like floodplain on their maps. If the owners would protest the property valuation based on the floodplain I suspect the taxes would run 1/2 or what the surrounding property without floodplain whould be. Then again maybe they already did that.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Patman said:
Actually if most of the property is in floodplain that could be a good thing for Charlie. It would significantly drive down the value of the property because it can't be developed without significant cost. Engineering fees to determine what kind of improvements need to be made and then lots of select fill material, an engineering study of how the revised channel route would effect both up and downstream properties, structural engineering for a flood wall....

Mr. Smarty! You work for some kinda land development company or sumthin'? :laugh:

I went to Shady Grove once just to check it out but never actually rode there. (I have in-laws that live about 15 min from it) I would think the days would be numbered regardless just because of it being within city limits and all.

JayPak

Jan 14, 2003
No new developments that I have heard of. I called the phone number and the message stated that they are temporarily closed and to check back at the first of the week, although, I am not sure which first of the week that was in reference to.

The number is 972-579-1319 if you guys want to keep calling and checking. I plan to check in every week - and if I hear anything, I will post here and let ya know.

Top Bottom