rm 125 (soon to be 144) progress report

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
Today I totaly gutted the rm. Things went well it only took a few hours. It was really not as hard as you may first think. I took note of how things came apart I took a few pictures as a guide. I aso baged up all the nuts & bolts in separate bags so reasembley should be fine. I did notice on strip down my swing arm barings & linkage barings will need to be replaced though. & I have a slight leak on the stator side crank seal. Never mind though I will get eric to give me the full 144, & engine rebulilding treatment. I am now looking good for powder coting. I recon I will settle on a nice piano glossy black. As some of You guys may be aware I was a bit unsure of the colour I should choose. I would also like to clean the engine up real good as I want this bike to look spank. Does anyone know my best bet to resurface my casings to a bright new meatle look finnish. Is there any preferd methord of doing this...........

i would include some pics but having trouble :bang:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I can't see the images. You're putting a big bore kit on this bike or what?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Are you racing? It gets me to the heart that no more 2-strokes are in the 125 class, only 250 thumpers. If you can get a big bore and beat the hell out of those 4 timers I'd be glad! Can you still enter the 125 class with a big bore kit?

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
trial_07 said:
Are you racing? It gets me to the heart that no more 2-strokes are in the 125 class, only 250 thumpers. If you can get a big bore and beat the hell out of those 4 timers I'd be glad! Can you still enter the 125 class with a big bore kit?

I hope to race next year as an novice in the amca. The good thing is when I get the 144 kit I can join the open class riders, so I could race with my friends. I belive this class is not as compettitive & as fast paced as in the 125 class novice's & having seen them in action. I would be glad to race in the openclass & I hold hopes of still being compettetive in that class time will tell.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
trial_07 said:

To my understanding, (bore only) 144 kits are legal in all 125cc amateur classes except schoolboy.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
A guess the power improvement from a big bore like a 144 must be significant. How much are they? What parts are to change for installing the kit? Is maintenance affected afterwards?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
trial_07 said:
A guess the power improvement from a big bore like a 144 must be significant. How much are they? What parts are to change for installing the kit? Is maintenance affected afterwards?

Stock 125s show about 30-33 max HP on the dyno posts I've seen here. A stock 250 2 stroke is about 43-46 HP. Modded 144s show about 37-39. The difference between a 125 and a 144 is like night and day.

Maintenance is apparently not much different. I suppose one ought to do top end rebuilds a bit sooner, but it hasn't been an issue for me thus far.

Eric Gorr was charging $475 last I saw - that's for a complete kit with piston, ring, head mods, port, polish, etc. . . I sent him the motor and he sent me a re-assembled 144. He even paid the return shipping because I pre-paid.

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
Still no ideas on the cases then guys........ I have seen a guy on an rm & it looked like he had his cases polished or something it looked nice ?

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
engine cases

OK. I found using a wire brush & a bit of sand paper for the hard to reach places works well. on the the casing of the engine. Its coming up real well. The engine is starting to look newer than new, which is cool. It is a bit of a ball ache, but my efort will be worth it. I have always said a clean engine is a good engine. Even if it's not it sure looks it. Do it shine em up guys... :cool:

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
polishing swing arm

Ok I started to polish the swingarm today it's coming up well I have seen some threads on how to do it well and some pictures of the finished arms they look cool. I only have one question really, and that is should I just polish the legs of the arms............ anyone done theres ?

Top Bottom