vdub1.8t

Mar 25, 2007
I bought a 1993 RM 250 which at the time wasn't running. I finally got it going; the problem was a loose jet in the carb. The issue I am facing now is that I cannot get the idle down. I turn the idle all the way down, as far as it will go, but it still idles too high. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

vdub1.8t

Mar 25, 2007
Thank you for the fast response. The person who I bought the bike from did say they changed the jets but said they were stock size. Who really knows though. So it sounds like it is worth investing into a carb re-build kit? My other problem is that black oil drips out of the silencer with a 32:1 mix. It def. needs more work to get it running properly and I think i need to focus on the carb. The bike likes to hesitate and not run smooth at all. Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

Last edited:

rider3302

Mar 8, 2005
sounds carb related to me. take it apart, clean it, check everything that whenfoxruled said, also check your air screw, previous owner might have thought it was the idle. should be 1-3 turns out (start at 2, go from there)

vdub1.8t

Mar 25, 2007
Could you read my second post please? I edited it while you were posting. Do you think I should look into a carb. rebuild kit to start, along with trying a leaner pilot jet? Any suggestions on who I should go through for the kit? I really appreciate your help.

vdub1.8t

Mar 25, 2007
Thanks for the extra thoughts! The air screw is the small flat head screw to the bottom right on the carb (same side as choke)?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You can use an on line micro fiche like from prosource,they have reasonable parts,do not know about any rebuild kits,a manual or an online manual will be helpful!

vdub1.8t

Mar 25, 2007
How would I go about diagnosing a vacuum leak?

I am going to try a carb rebuild kit and go back to the stock jets and go from there. Any other suggestions are very much appreciated!

One other thing to add... I took out the reed valve to take a look and the reeds had a good amount of fuel on them. Is that normal?

Does anyone know the stock jet specs for this bike?

Last edited:
Top Bottom