bandrew9

Mar 26, 2010
Mid 80s rm 250 starts and idles great but once you give it throttle only revs up to a high idle. I cleaned the carb and it has good gas in it. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I normally start with the simple, cheap stuff: fresh gas, clean carb-- you've already done, so then I try checking plug and putting in new plug, clean filter, check muffler for obstructions, make sure gas tank vent not obstructed. If not fixed, I reclean the carb more carefully, check timing and keep going until I get it. Also, check reeds and powervalve (if your exhaust has one) to make sure it is opening when given throttle.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
The very first thing to check when doing a carb is the float level.
With a bike that old :) I'd also have a look at the fuel delivery, is the fuel filter cloaked and do you get fuel to the carb?
Just pull the tube going towards the carb and see if you get regular flow of it.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
Can you tell us when and how the problem started ( I've seen this after a crash that blocked the muffler tip with clay) Has the bike been sitting or used? Have you done any work that needs looking at again ( rag in pipe left in place when refitted) This kind of info will probably help us to help you

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
pesky nz said:
Can you tell us when and how the problem started ( I've seen this after a crash that blocked the muffler tip with clay)
+1. my first thougth was a blocked muffler. a mouse nest on exhaust could well be the the problem...

Top Bottom