RM silencer fell off

TechKid

Apr 30, 2002
I was racing at byron this weekend and on the last lap of 125C class my 2000 RM125 silencer FELL OFF!I came off of a jump and as soon as i landed i gassed it and my bike was loud as hell.I got the silencer after one of the flaggers picked it up.The tab that mounts it broke.How can i repair this aluminum silencer?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah right.

The problem is the ally will have fractured on a thin piece. Take it to a decent ally welder & get them to fabricate & weld a thicker piece onto it. It may be a bit ugly but probably hidden at that point.

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Same thing happened to me in practice right before the season started.

The problem with mine (FMF silencer) was the aluminum wore thru right on top where the it gets bolted to the frame.

If you try to patch it, it will definately break again. Go to the hardware store and buy about 1 1/2 to 2" of those pieces of steel strap with the holes on it. (the kind you use to hand garage door openers).

When you get it home, take the silencer and bend the strap around it, cut the excess off , then when you bolt it back on, line up the strap holes and bolt everything together.

I hope I explained this ok, if not, let me know, I try to explain it better.

Jeff

TechKid

Apr 30, 2002
RM250er, can you please explain your method better.Im not quite clear on your idea.

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Techkid,

Ahh... I meant to say 1 1/2 feet to 2 feet of metal strap.

If you go to the hardware store, you need to buy one of those flat pieces of metal holes the entire length of it.

You need a piece long enough to bend into a "U" shape around your silencer right where the silencer mounting hole is. Your silencer will sit in the "U".

Do the bending and shaping with your silencer off the bike.

When you bend the metal, you need to end up with holes at the top of the "U" to line-up with your mounting hole on the silencer. (cut off the excess)

Now take your silencer, which is sitting in the "U" and connect it to your head pipe on your bike.

Put a bolt thru your frame where your silencer mounts/one side of the "U"/silencer mount hole/otherside of the "U". and put a nut onto the bolt. (you may need a longer bolt).

I'll try to explain it better if you still need me to.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL, RM250'er....are you related to Rube Goldberg?

(I'd do what David or Durt suggested if it were moi.)

TechKid

Apr 30, 2002
oh i see.I was also thinking since i have the piece that broke off, to glue that piece on to the silencer w/epoxy and then take a flat washer and pop rivit the washer to the mounting tab.Will this also work?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Seriously, take the silencer to a fab shop and have them tig it back together. it will be stronger than new. I have done this before when I ripped my silencer of in a loop out on a hill. That was ten years ago, and it's still on the bike.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
You got out easy techkid, the silencer fell off my yz one time on the landing of a jump and it lodged itself in my rear wheel, twisted up my silencer and bent a couple spokes.

topend

Aug 7, 2002
holy cow.....well the only thing i had fall off my bike is the seat.didn't tighten the bolts when i put in the filter. i had a procircuit silcencer. it has two hangers on it. only way ti falls of is wehen you wreck and break it off.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…