Dan308

Jan 25, 2003
Maybe someone can help me think this through. I have a 1982 RM465. When I bought it the man said it had a fresh top end and it just needed some TLC. Yea right, got it home did a compression check and it was 90psi. Pulled the jug and was not supprised to find a cracked piston, worn rings and a little scaring on the walls just to the right of the exhaust port. After calling all over the USA all I could find was a stock piston kit. Honed the cylinder and the new Wiseco piston was within specs. Put it all back together and it started on the 3rd kick. My question is, Wiseco has dropped this item from their catalog and has no more. I called them and asked if a Suz LTR500 piston would work. The guy said if you add a 5mm spacer on the base and 2 head gaskets it would work providing the rings didn't shoot out the transfer port because the pins are in the wrong spot.

Is there any piston in production that will fit this engine with or without mods? The bike is fine now but later I'll need a backup.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
I had a job come into my shop over the summer, a bore/hone for a RM465 and I tried all sorts of things including calling MAC. They bought the whole supply of RM465 piston from Wiseco distributors but sold them all out a few years ago.
The only way to get a piston is to place a special order for 50 to Wiseco, which still holds the blueprints on file. Unfortunately that will cost about $5,000
How much do you love your bike?

PE175

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2003
This guy has one, it's used, but better than nothing.
http://www.bikeboneyard.com/

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
sweet looking bike......... don't ride it. I have had problems getting a shift fork and second gear for a 83 rm 125 and shock reservoir< the rubber wears down and then it rubs against the frame> and shock linkage bearings for an 82 rm 250 in the early 90's. I am guessing that most of the parts of that era are used up or swept away into the garbage can to make room for newer stuff.

Dan308

Jan 25, 2003
jmics19067, I think I'm going to ride this bad boy! I raced local and a few nationals in the mid 70's. I've been busy raising my son for the last 20 years but he's in college now. And it's time for daddy to play! I replaced those bearings. they are made by IKO for Suzuki. They only be had through a dealer. Look in the back of MXA. With shipping they were 50.00 for 2.
Got to PhotoIsland.com to see more photos. The guest login: Dan308 Password: RM465
Dan308

fastwes

Nov 29, 2000
I've been off the web for a few days and missed your piston availability question when you first asked. I went looking in my archives. I have a new cast Rocky(Tucker Rocky) piston, ring pin etc. for a RM 465 in 1st over. I also have a bunch of RM 500 pistons in .25,and .50 oversizes. Go bigger!
Along with the RM pistons I have some KX500 1985 pistons and many rings.
Wes Gilbert
Boyesen Precision Porting
888-boyesen
888-269-3736

Top Bottom