holeshot1

Aug 16, 2001
Our 02 RM85 ground down fiber plates #2&3 from outside, down thru and into the aluminum backing plate and steel plates and both sides of 2&3. Tore down at the races couldn't find anything wrong with basket, inner hub or pressure plate so installed and adjusted new fiber, steel and springs only to last 1/2 lap. $$$! Tore down again Same exact plates again...and still can't find anything that looks bad, basket doesn't have any major groves and I filed it down a little a while ago...inner hub and pressure plate looks OK just can't figure out why just the same plates twice...any thoughts??? THANKS

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Double check pressure plate as a groove or step is probably worn in it. Junior smoked I clutch and I did what you did , smoked another one, I did a quick turn down on the lathe to remove the ridge that formed. Problem solved , I since changed the pressure plate. Make sure you have lots of free play in the cable. As clutch temperatur changes so does free play. We went almost 18 hours of race and hard practice on the last clutch and I changed it to be sure.

micster

Jun 24, 2003
Stopped on the way home and bought new inner hub and pressure plate ...stock ones were pretty cheap,,,new fiber and steel plates and springs and will try again, everything looked pretty good? we'll see tomorrow...if that's it I'll then pick up a MOOSE Hub...Thanks

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by MikeS
Make sure you have lots of free play in the cable. As clutch temperatur changes so does free play. We went almost 18 hours of race and hard practice on the last clutch and I changed it to be sure.

Kevin gets almost a 3/4 of a season out of the disc and a whole season on the basket. Have had a few local pros comment that he's using the clutch too much. We run the recommended 10mm+/- free play at lever. Quality oil and frequent oil changes are recommended,

Top Bottom