Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
I recently bought a leftover new 98 RMX 250. I have gotten the clickers right enough to hit the whoops at warp speed and now I'm beginging to feel comfortable in the air on this bike. The only problem is for me to jump (these are small) I have to load the forks. Otherwise they follow the path of the ground and the rear kicks up.
These jumps are of course very small. About the size of a whoop. I have noticed the same trend when launching off of the shelf on comp hill. Of course this could be all on my lack of skill so no worries if thats it.

------------------
Ridin' till I can't
'98 RMX250
'84 XR250r
Laid to rest:
'73 TC125

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
un screw the right grip, it will lift the front suspension up so it dosent plow the face of the jump, or go with stiffer springs and a little more compression, but I'm bias to the right grip!

------------------
Sage Wilkinson, KDX Link 1

clw

Dec 29, 2000
I raced one of these for years. Unlike a MX bike I found that you couldn't just drive into whoops. Instead, try to have the front end light leading into the whoop section. Like a little wheelie. And keep the gas on hard to the other end.

I tried stiffer fork springs but they took away too much of the tight woods prowess.

------------------

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
Thanks for the replys everyone. I was thinking tightening the rebound, but I don't claim to know much about suspension tuning. I guess it's good I asked. As far as riding a wheelie into the whoop section, it isn't really neccissary. I roast all the guys I ride with on thier MX bikes. Also, rideing a wheelie on this bike requires way too much effort with my 215 lb hide, I do however crank the throttle into the whoops. I was thinking that, because of my weight I should go to stiffer springs, but don't have a clue as to what spring weight. I do, also not want to loose too much of that tight woods prowess. This bike in the tight trails amazes me every time I ride it.
Thanx
Zack

------------------
Ridin' till I can't
'98 RMX250
'84 XR250r
Laid to rest:
'73 TC125

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
I'm thinking .44, and 5.2 for desert action..

------------------
"Danger is one thing but danger combined with long periods of suffering is quite another." Sir E. Hilary
wilkey@mx-tech.com

Top Bottom