KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
hey guys, a mate of mine recentlly bought a 91 RMX250 that was in a real state to say the least!

i stripped it down for him and replaced the crank bearings and seals and put a rod kit and top end in it.

we did 110km trail ride last weekend and the bike was really smokey and at the end the bike had no gear oil!!!

we filled it up and ran it for a few miutes( very smokey)
drained the oil and only 200ml came out!

i started it up again took the oil filler cap off and and it has positive and negitave air preassure with the stroke cycle, wich would indicate to me a crank case leak???

and the crank case is sealled propperlly.

my main question is.....
on the clutch side, the crank seal has a steel collar that slides
over the crank and into the crank seal, but on the crank it is steel to steel, how can this be a good seal???

was there something mising???

any ideas???

Last edited:

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
no i did not see one, and there was no o-ring, but i guess your idea of 3 bond would work, maybe even a bit more than a smear to get the collar moving with the crank???

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Just looked it up, most models have an Oring, you suggest the steel spacer is floating, I'm sure thats not meant to be the case you would expect the primary drive gear to nip up against it.

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
hey guys thanks for your coments, the spacer does have an o-ring in the center and it also steps down on one end, the bike is running mint now!!!

now that i have turned the spacer around!!!!

what a knob!!!! :coocoo: :bang: :coocoo: :| :|

Top Bottom