Rocker arm bearings: Where did I go wrong?

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
I just replaced every bearing on my 2000 KX310. It really wasn't too difficult and I learned quite a bit.

I'm having a problem with the 2 bearings that go in the top hole of the rocker arm (the hole that connects to the frame). The problem is that I can't get the sleeve to go in. It's just too tight.

The hole below that one (linkage hole) uses the same bearings and same diameter sleeve and that one slides in and out easily.

Did I smash the bearings or something? I've ordered new bearings and seals and I'm going to have to do this hole over. Any ideas where I went wrong or suggestions for doing it right this time?

Thanks!

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Try heating the bearing race with a torch and frezzing the bearing cage for a couple of hours. Then you can use a vice and a couple of sockets and gently slide the bearing right in!

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Kawie, you beat me to the punch, the only thing is I think the rocker arm bearing may be a bunch of individual needle bearings? I'm not sure on that bike, if they are needle bearings then just the freezing of the sleeve should work fine.

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
I figured out that some of the needles were getting dislodged when the bearing was pressed in. I froze the bearings first but didn't have a torch to heat the rocker arm.

I used Motion Pro's swingarm bearing installer tool to insert the bearing until flush. Then I used a socket with the MP tool to sink the bearing the final 2mm. I figured out that that's when the needles become dislodged.

The solution was to have the sleeve inserted when using the socket - to keep the needles in place. Now the sleeve slides in and out easily.

I won't be having my first ride on the KX310 this weekend because I'm still waiting for one more part to come in. Looks like it will be the next weekend. :(

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
Okay, I misled you that this problem was worked out. :o

Actually, I was able to get one of the bearings in okay (having the sleeve inserted) but when I put the other bearing in (which was on order) I had the same problem.

So I bought a new set of bearings and took it a local shop and had them press them in. They had the same result and they think that the hole isn't straight - therefore when the 2 bearings are pressed in they're at a bit of an angle and the sleeve won't go in.

When I originally removed the rocker arm, the sleeve in that hole was seized and I had to knock it out. Now I realize that this rocker arm has always had this problem and whoever put the bike together must have forced the sleeve in. That really pisses me off at Kawasaki! :think

The shop said that it probably isn't a big deal because the rocker arm moves very little on the frame - but I've gone to alot of trouble (and expense!) to be back where I started.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I was going to buy a new rocker arm - with the bearings already pressed in - from Pro Circuit but they've redone their website and the product is no longer listed. When I called, the dumbass who answered the phone didn't even know what a rocker arm is (thought it was a triple clamp!) and said they didn't carry it.

I saw the post on the ZipTyRacing rocker arm but I'm a bit confused because it doesn't show a bearing in the spot that holds the bottom of the shock and my OEM rocker arm has a bearing in all 3 holes. Plus, when I proceed to order it - it doesn't ask what make/model of bike I have. It isn't a 1-size-fits-all is it?

Any comments are appreciated. I want to put my bike together and ride!

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Boo!:(

Yeah if the bearings are at an angle then the sleeve will bind up & yes they don’t move very much but that is precisely the reason you want them to be free -as the rollers will be acting as plain bearings which will suck. Or more likely the inside of the bushes & the bolts.

If this was an old boiler I would suggest getting some phosphor bronze bushes pushed in there & you could bore them straight in situ, run the sleeves & add a dirty great grease nipple while you are at it.

On such a trick new bike, it is worthwhile to get it as new. Try calling these guys who make after market units again & you might not strike the time when everyone has gone to lunch & the boy answers.

Alternatively you could get the rocker arm bored & a straight sleeve pressed in place for the bearings to slip into. Don’t know if there is enough meat for this. Take it to a competent engineering shop & ask.

Top Bottom