Heartattack_3

Mar 1, 2009
I am building a 1995 Yz250 I ordered a rod kit (could not find a complete assembly discontinued so they say) took it to the cycle shop and they tell me the rod is to short the vin # showed it to be a 1995 but I was wondering if there was any way to tell if the motor might have been swapped for another year. or if anyone could tell me what the specs for that year crank should be. thanks

Motor # 4MX-008399

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Many people put GYTR "long rod" kit in the 95 yz250's.
Is there a 5mm alloy plate under your cylinder?

Heartattack_3

Mar 1, 2009
Yes there is a plate under the cylinder. also I noticed that not only the main bearring was bad but the Piston had part of the skirt broke and the rod was bent.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Heartattack_3 said:
Yes there is a plate under the cylinder. also I noticed that not only the main bearring was bad but the Piston had part of the skirt broke and the rod was bent.

How's the cylinder and head look after digesting the piston skirt.

Farmer John

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Heartattack_3 said:

You can go back to the stock size rod by leaving the plate out.

Heartattack_3

Mar 1, 2009
Well the head and cylinder looks good and Iam going to lightly hone it and put a new piston and rings. How much of a performance loss should i expect.

Farmer John

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
What the long rod kit did was was allow the bike to be smoother thru the mid. The bike shouldn't loose any power, it should be more abrupt in the delivery of that power.

The long rod kit did not change the length of stroke. What it changed was the angle of the rod at mid stroke. By lessening this angle the engine responded to changed throttle positions better.

Top Bottom