Rookie 1998 kdx 220 owner. Please don't laugh!

Trent Dyck

Feb 10, 2005
Jeepers folks. Help over here. Haven't been on a dirt bike for 20 years or so. Simple things first. How do I tighten the chain? I see the nuts at the back axel and the marked thingy. Mine is at 4 but the chain looks fairly loose. How much should the chain flex off the mono shock?

Just got the bike and its stock. No mods at all and very clean. Took it out yesterday and took it very gentle. Still managed to crash and broke the clutch leaver. I felt like I was going 90 kph but looking back at the photo's, I look like a Mary with a bad back. Gads! New lever going on tomorrow and we'll get back on the bike. Help with the above issue please.

bigpa

Nov 24, 2003
With you sitting on the bike have someone stick their fingers here the chainguard ends on the swingarm. It has to be tight with 3 fingers high.

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
The bike is great. I did the pipe, silencer, reeds, all the armour and some other stuff. I'm about to get a gnarly rev pipe and see if I like it more than the woods.

ELF

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
Mine is still a stocker, hoping to get enough time riding soon and will make the desicion on the pipe, eventually, when I do I will be doing the carb mod' aswell.

The bike is great, and I cannot emphasise enough as to how much can be learnt from this site.
- Like having your own test/perfomance and review guru's all in house.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
ditto, compress the rear suspesion fully and watch how the chain tightens...avoid tightening the chain so it binds, else bad things happen.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
yater said:
Put handguards on it asap and you won't have to replace any more clutch/brake levers

Or go get a ASV lever and that will solve your problem also

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom