KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
I would like to get some comments on the effectiveness of Rowers for MX. Does anybody out there own one? I found a Schwinn (wind resistance type) rowing machine a a play it again sports for 300$. It's a used model (I've seen them new for over 700$) and I think it's a pretty good deal. I don't think that Schwinn makes rowers anymore and I'm not sure if I will be able to get any parts for this thing or not. The sales guy that works there is trying to find out if parts are available threw some other source. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

This exercise bike just doesn't seem to help that much. I still have a hard time getting threw 4 laps without feeling like I'm about to have a heart attack.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Riding is pretty much all pushing muscle groups (quads, delts, tricepts, pecs...) the rowing machine does work the legs a little but it focuses on pulling groups (bicepts, traps, lats, back...)

For MX I train strength and endurance on all push muscles with weights. And for a cardio work out the best thing you can do for MX or riding in general, IMO is hitting the punching bag. It is a great work out and it is very similar to the type of impact you take when riding. You work cardio like with a bike but you are constantly causing the push muscles to fire in powerful burst building endurance and strength.

I would highly recommend you look into a heavy bag rather than a rowing machine. 100lb.Everlast canvas bag and stand ran me about $250. Get bag gloves!

Hope it helps.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I have to say that I'm not an expert, but I think the rowing machine helped me get in shape for woods riding, not sure about MX.
After using the rowing machine I noticed that I had less arm pump, perhaps due to stronger forearm muscles. With my upper body being a little more toned I noticed that I could also fight the bike through ruts with less shoulder fatigue. As I mentioned though this worked for me, but I'd say a rowing machine would be a worthwhile investment. I only used it for the most 5 hours a week for 10 weeks. Good Luck.

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
I would say that the rowing exercise is a good one for dirtbike training. I was very sore after my first enduro last weekend and my upper back, lower back, thighs, and biceps were among the most sore. These are the muscles that are mainly worked by the rowing machine so I'd say go for it. My chest and triceps were also sore so maybe the rowing and some pushups would be a good combo. Let us know what you decide...

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
If done properly the rowing macxhine will work the quads very well. Also the forarms,lats and lower back. This plus the cardio training you'll get while rowing, is a great benefit to riding. You can even purchase a handlebar shaped attachment for the rowing machine to better recruit the muscle used when riding. If you think about it, you pull on the bars, more than you push.

As Thump said, hitting the bag is also a great workout, good for relieving stress also.

vetwfo'er

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Thump, thanks but no thanks I'm not a punching bag kind of a guy. Though it may be a good workout I'd feel like a fish out of water punching a bag.

I think I'm going to buy the rowing machine.

Thanks for all of your input guys.

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
Watch your back

I used to row crew and think that rowing machines are a great all around workout, just be careful to do it properly or else you can really hurt your back. If I remember correctly Schwinn makes really good rowing machines. Have fun and good luck!

Top Bottom