brentw

Sep 3, 2005
My 97' rt-180, after a year of not being cranked, ceases to start. I decide to drain the gas and put some new in it. After disconnecting the line after the fuel filter I did not get any gas flow (made sure the fuel cockpit said ON). So I decided to unscrew the fuel cockpit from my gas tank, and vualla, the gas started to pour out. After closely inspecting my fuel cockpit, I noticed it was all gumbed up to hell, as well as my fuel filter. I used degreaser to clean both, but it did little to help the situation. The top of the fuel cockpit had this screen-type filter, which I just ripped off because I couldnt get it clean enough. Should I just order a new fuel cockpit and gas filter? And if so what websites do you guys recommend I use?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I'd order a new filter and a rebuild kit for the fuel "petcock". K & L Supply has the kits for less than $20. Good luck, YZ165

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You should be able to get them clean with a solvent of some sorts. If you decide to order a new one you'll have an easier time if you tell them you need a petcock instead of a cockpit :)

brentw

Sep 3, 2005
Here's a picture of the petcock:
http://photobucket.com/albums/y151/brentw/rsx-s/?action=view&current=100_1208.jpg
There was this wire-laced filter that was maybe an inch long I tore off, does that matter?

Sorry, the manual called it a fuel c0ck. :coocoo:

Also, should I probably clean out the carb? Trying to clean out the petcock is the first automotive thing I've done in my life, so would you guys recommend I try to take the carb apart and clean it? Or get someone to help me.

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Taking the carb apart isn't rocket science, if you have the manual I'd have a go at it alone. The wire filter was there to keep crap from getting further into the fuel system. As YZ165 suggested I'd get a kit to rebuild the petcock.

brentw

Sep 3, 2005
Know where I could get an online repair manual, or just a diagram of the carb itself?

I hate to keep asking questions..I have been searching but I cant find the information I need.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom