wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
i figured out that the noise i was hearing was coming from my clutch since when i pull the lever in the noise goes away.

now last summer i had an incident where i blew a hole in my clutch cover and lost my oil!!! :yikes: :yikes:

now from what i've heard a worn needle bearing cage (the one the basket rides on) can cause a looseness and a noise similar to mine, but my qestion is, could the one incident of have no oil made something else make this noise? the tranny shifts fine through all the gears, but its just the noise i can't figure out?

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
How long did you ride without oil? If you think that the needle bearing is knackered then replace it and see if the problem goes away :)

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
was it dry , or hot and smoking when you got er home??

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
more on the dry side, i mean it was hot but not smoking. just too hot to touch, but thats why i think it was dry was b/c the oil that was left burned off.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
the bearings your basket rides on are tiny little things. youve more than likely smoked them in that 15min ride (hard or not) pul it down and look it all over. im betting you smoked your steels while taking this little trip also.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
good news is that bearing is about 10$

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
More than likely if you heated the cases up to the point they were too hot to touch, I would also be concerned about the condition of the bearings on the mainshaft and countershaft in the transmission. They don't like to run dry. As stated above, replace the clutch bearings. Then when it's running, listen for a low growling sound from the tranny. It won't matter whether the clutch lever is pulled in or not. If there is a noise present, a bearing or bearings were overheated in the tranny.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
well see it only would do this after i left off the throttle with the clutch lever out. if i have the lever in it doesn't do it.

by the way where did you find the bearing for $10,????

cheapest i could find was $24 :bang:

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
ellandoh, could you please tell me whee you found the bearing for $10...? i can only find them now for $32!!!!

if i didn't change the bearing, whats the worst that could happen?

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
wornknobby said:
if i didn't change the bearing, whats the worst that could happen?

The cage would decentigrate and the needle bearings would jam themselves between the gears on your tranny causing gears to bind/break and destroy most everything in the bottom end of your motor. Too much risk for a cheap part.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
ok, well i guess i will change it then, but i still can't find them very cheap.. does any one know where i could find them?

midwestactiocycle wants $32
ronnies wants $24
ellandoh says their about $10 but where? :coocoo:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
was a guess, check service honda, or local shop . you're gonna have to bite the bullet on the extra sawbuck :bang:

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
ok, thanx though, i guess i'll just buy the one from ronnies for $24, besides i have to order a swing arm bolt from them abyways.

Top Bottom