Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
My 01 250 has been fouling a few plugs lately and I was wondering if it is OK to run a hotter plug to help prevent this. Stock plug is a BR8ECM, and I've been running a BR8ES. Would a BR7ES be too hot? I don't motocross, just a woods rider so I don't exactly scream the bike a lot. I suppose I could also try a BR8EG plug, but wonder if the gold plugs really do resist fouling any better? If anyone has any experience with either of these, I'd love to hear some input.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I usually run a BR7ES plug when I am doing trail riding/technical riding. I have done this both in my KX250 and YZ250, and both have been fine. In my experience the more expensive plugs do not resist fouling any better. But...if you are jetted close and everything is good on your engine, you shouldn't be fouling plugs very much even with the 8 plug.
Just remember to put the 8 back in if you are going to the dunes or track!

BJAWES

Mar 22, 2004
Jetting may be helpful for the type of riding you do, if you "lug" the bike alot maybe you can get away with just an adjustment or make sure your adjustments are set correctly (I've taken alot of crap for giving out specs.), air filter is clean ect. I would not step up to a hotter plug (just my opinion). I run BR8EG plugs and no other, this has been the plug I've always used. hope this helps- bjawes

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Stan - You might be able to straddle the line by using a projected nose BP8 plug. They tend to run a bit hotter than a conventional 8 series but tend to cool better at high speeds so you get most of the benefits without the potential issues of too hot a plug.

You have to verify that there is enough room in the KTM to use this type of plug (I'm not sure) but it's something to consider. That said, you can try running a 7 for a normal ride and take a look at the insulator surface after the ride to figure out if it's running too hot. Evidence of a grainy insulator or a glazed look points to an excess of heat. If the insulator surface looks similar to a new plug then it's running at a safe temperature.

FWIW, a gold plug won't keep it from fouling, but it will cost more when it finally does. :)

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
i dont get it why change the heat range of your plug when the problem you have is jetting.fix the problem and your bike will run so much better.it is simple to lower the needle in your carb.and check to make sure you have the stock jetting just to make sure.why run the risk of melting a piston,besides changing the heat range of the plug really dose little to improve the combustability of your mixture. fix it dont fart with it

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
the fancy tipped plugs do nothing to prevent fouling.the fancy tip is thier to prlong the life of the plug under normal operating conditions,over time the electode wears and it changes its gap.the fancy new plugs take longer for this to happen and the fancier the metal use the longer they last.so putting a fancy plug in a ill jetted bike is a waste of money.

Top Bottom