the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Well another TWMC Running Cactus Enduro went off this past weekend out off Hodge Road past Victorville. The loop was similar to last year's Cactus (maybe too similar) except I think the speeds were slower this year - either that or I'm getting faster. Nah .. must be the speeds getting slower. Plenty of rocks to deal with, a few moderate hill climbs and some wide open fire road and sand wash type stuff.

I saw Holeshot, Thumbs, and Scar Tissue there, and CPT Jack drove out with me early that Sunday morning. To report, I did terrible ... kept time really badly, lost the course about 5 times 'cause I just zoned out, and got a flat around 35 miles in. I finished the race (Fix-a-Flat during Free Time) but finished 11th Amateur. Guess I'll just have to write that one off. Dean Bishop put in another good Amateur ride as usual and Thumbs took 5th Novice with a very low score, just seconds out of 1st place.

The redeeming factor of the day for me was the Gas Gas. Damn it's a great bike ! I recently geared down to 13 / 50 and fitted up some new rear meat. The bike just rocks ... so happy I bought it.

Other than that, the only thing of note is that I accidentally ran over Jack's beautiful and BRAND NEW Thor SVR 2 helmet when we were unpacking back at my place. Totally destroyed it.

It was a beautiful weekend indeed ... it just wasn't my weekend.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
I was lloking forward to the Enduro, but got sick on Friday. I was pretty drained so I figured I was going to miss out on another chance to ride. Saturday I felt a little better so I decided I'd Nyquil-up & go out to play ride. Besides, I had a brand new Thor SVR2 lid to try out! Thumbs was kind enough to haul my bike out for me on Sat. (thanks Thumbsy!), so I drove over to the Eel's place & rode out with him at 0-dark-30 in the morning (Sunday). I ended up working the checks which was kind of fun & putting in only about 10 mi. I wouldn't have had the energy to finish more than 1 loop, but it was nice getting out to the desert & putting in a bit of seat time. Had a good day. When we got back to the Eel's place I pulled my stuff out of the truck & walked up the driveway to bring my car over. At this time the Eel decided he didn't like my new helmet & chose to promptly (and pre-emptively) run it over along with my remaining Chips Ahoy cookies. I doth protest! What has my helmet ever done to you? The SVR2 took it square on the chin - he waxed it good. It wasn't even a fair fight - didn't stand a chance vs the mighty Tacoma PreRunner. :(

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Jack - a replacement is on its way to my address. I found the same helmet for $175.

To top things off we were robbed this week ... the thugs took some power tools and both of our bicycles ... plus alot of my gear.

:ugg:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by CPT Jack
At this time the Eel decided he didn't like my new helmet & chose to promptly (and pre-emptively) run it over along with my remaining Chips Ahoy cookies.

What a waste - I knew I should have had one of those cookies. :silly:

This was my reply to rate the race

"Course Layout (ribbon, arrows, check markings, and mileages): A

Use of Terrain: A

Was the Course Challenging?: B+

Was it a Time Keeper (were the speeds realistic for your class)?: A

Was it FUN?: A

Comments:

I was more than a little surprised at my score (burn) at the fourth check.
Everyone on my minute went through the check like a pack of sardines, right
in the middle of our minute. They zero'd and I got 2. Either this is
another Enduro lesson to be learned (but I'm not sure what the lesson is)
or my memory is failing me (it's been known to happen).

But still, I really can't complain, because every one of the TWMC enduros
is a bargain and they couldn't happen without all the volunteers. Another
great enduro by the TWMC."

A final note: A lot of seasoned enduro guys were early on the fourth check. I find it hard to believe they were all fooled (although I could see it in my case ;))

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Sheesh. Sorry to hear about Jack's helmet and Eel's stuff.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Sorry to hear about your bikes. :( Maybe It was a smart decision in retrospect to leave my gasser in the garage here two weekends ago.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
P.S. Gotta the link for the site you found?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Well, they changed my score for the fourth check (D), so I guess they mis-read my scorecard the first time. I thought I'd zeroed, and I did, so I'm not losing my marbles after all. :thumb:

I'm thinking way too much about this stuff..... :eek:

Top Bottom