Runs fine in neutral bogs when in gear

dagrouch

Jul 3, 2008
Hello All, I am hoping someone can help me out. My wifes 2007 TTR230 starts and idles fine. Revs perfectly in neutral, nice and crisp. As soon as it is in gear she bogs and wants to stall out. Was working fine a week ago but over the last week it was dumped a few times, noticed that the clutch cable was extremely loose but not sure if this is related. With the cable tightened the clutch is very "grabby".

Cleaned out the air filter, changed the spark plug, changed the gas (however same gas in my 2 stroke runs fine). Anyone have any ideas why the engine would bog while being ridden but run like a dream in neutral?

Blink-182

Feb 2, 2008
does it takeoff and run and then bog? or just bog out and die?, take apart your carbs float bowl and take out the jets and shoot them with compressed air or carb cleaner
and your clutch cable is sapoused to have some freeplay
check in your manual it tells you everything about service

dagrouch

Jul 3, 2008
Tx Blink, it starts off then bogs while in gear. I will take the carb apart and clean it. I just wasn't sure that it was a carb issue when it revs up nicely while in neutral. Thought it would've bogged there as well.

I actually read the whole manual this morning and saw the free play on the clutch lever but added it in the original post to explain what has changed in the last week.

dagrouch

Jul 3, 2008
Took the bottom end of the carb apart last night....wish the wife was that dirty. Engine runs great now....Tx everyone.....

Now I just need to figure out how to get the clutch to not be so "grabby". I know absolutely nothing about clutches....

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Grabby clutch could be as simple as an oil change. Or, pop the clutch off and inspect. Why would you want your wife to be like a dirty carb? I could see as easy as it was to fix?

Top Bottom