ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
Anybody got any REALLY good ways to get rid of rust without tearing up the paint on a great tank? I have a CL350 that I want to get going that is mint, but the tank is rusty. I have heard about the Kreem setup and don't really like gluing the rust in... Has anyone tried Rustol from Sudco? Any other ideas? I really want to keep the paint original since it is very nice. I would like to be able to submerge the whole tank in something and let it sit... Thanks.

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
The Kreem kit has 3 steps in it.
Step 1 removes the rust
Step 2 preps it for the final step
Step 3 coats it

Just finished the tank on my TS185 and it worked great. Only thing I did different was I added a gallon of Muradic(sp?) acid mixed 50/50 with water and let it sit over night because my tank was really rusty before using the Kreem kit.
You can get the Muradic acid at any pool store or even the grocery store like I did for around $4.00 a gallon.

------------------
Jeff
99 RM 125 "Mr Scary"
72 TS 185 "Mr Ugly"
my photos

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
I used the Kreem on my girlfriends Rt 180 and it worked great!

------------------
91 KDX250
81 HUSKY 430 XC
72 HUSKY WR 250
72 HUSKY WR 450
73 HONDA XR 75 (MY ORIGINAL BIKE!)

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
Like the others said, Kreem does not simply cover up rust. The first step will get the rust out of your tank. Don't get in a hurry, let it sit with the solution in the tank at least 24 hrs. Pour it out in a bucket, if the tank is still rusty you can pour the solution back in and do it again. Done properly, Kreem will seal pinhole leaks and ensure that you will not have a rust problem reoccur. I have used it several times on old bikes, most notably on a DT 175 that was so rusty, light passed through the pinholes. It is good as new now, two years later.

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
Buttonfly, you still need to becarefull not to leave the "Kreem" on painted surfaces it will take off the paint.
I spilled a little bit and just rinsed it off with water and everything was OK

------------------
Jeff
99 RM 125 "Mr Scary"
72 TS 185 "Mr Ugly"
my photos

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
where can I get this stuff? I have a '74 elsinore I'd like to get started on as soon as the rain lets up.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom