bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
need more info on "ruts" four wheeler ruts?, bank turns?, corners?
stay is the rut and stay on the throttle, use knees and elbows to absorb impacts in and out of ruts

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Once you are lined up, look past them and get on the gas with your weight back.

Staring at your front tire in a rut will make you overcorrect and have lots of problems. Line up, commit, look past, and power through.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Riding the rut is cake, settling in properly is the tricky part. You need to front tire to wash out a little bit so it slides into the rut.

Jun 28, 2006
High Lord Gomer said:
Once you are lined up, look past them and get on the gas with your weight back.

Staring at your front tire in a rut will make you overcorrect and have lots of problems. Line up, commit, look past, and power through.

Good advise. That's what I started doing. I use to look down at the rut and next thing you know I'm crossed up. I like the front end to be light coming through the ruts.

Dude what kind of ruts? Motocross track? Woods?

Mar 16, 2007
Im talking about track ruts. in the corners. at the track alot of the guys take the inside lines through these ruts. they just fly through and it makes them much faster than me. I always have to take the outside lines. I can barely manage riding through the ruts without crashing. the other thing is when you go through these ruts at the track they line you up for the jumps at a angle (off cambers) which is something else Im not comfortable doing yet. I was just thinking that I should just start riding them all the time until I get the hang of it. Im worried of jamming my leg/knee when I go through these things some of them are very deep.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Keep in mind that those ruts are mostly formed by the fast guys who are on the gas and leaned over. To ride them well you need to commit and do the same. The looking ahead thing still applies.

nickman1209

Dec 29, 2006
also alot of riders want to tense up going into the rut. if its a straight rut just keep ur legs gripped and ride it and always look ahead. turns you have to lean it over and have good throttle. you dont always have to take the enitire rut unless its a peg dragger.

Top Bottom