Ryno smacks the flaggers in the press conference

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Sounds like it wasn't a take-out move like everyone would automatically assume betwixt Brown and Hughes:

"When I came over that jump his bike was down and he was walking. When I jumped there was a gap on the left hand side. I don’t know if maybe he was a little dazed or what but I was aiming for it and all of a sudden he walked over there, right where I was going. I tried to get on the brakes but I hit him. I have never hit anyone so damn hard in my life.

For me, the mistake is the flaggers. To me it’s a bunch of **** because that is twice today that the flaggers just stand there because they are too damn lazy to wave the flag. It’s one thing if one guy is sitting there at the side of the track sitting on his motorcycle, it’s another thing is someone is sprawled out on the ground. They are taking our lives in their hands and if they can just stand there lollygagging around it’s a bunch of crap. If they don’t want to do their job, get the hell out of there. They hurt two, almost three people today because they don’t get out there in the middle of the track and say hey, there is someone down. Use some hand signals. We don’t know. We are racing.

This jump over here (where Brown crashed), the Washougal promoters need to take that damn thing out. It hits somebody every single year. I have been here since 94 and every year someone crashes. It blind and you are hitting it in 4th gear.

I saw the flagger but he just had the flag out. OK, maybe someone is on the side of the track with a broken bike, not someone sprawled out right on the end of the jump. Byrne clipped Brownie with his handlebar. Then I came over and I nailed him. I remember in ’95 Steve Lamson broke someone’s leg because of it. Every single year. In practice some fan got hurt from Bubba. Do something. The flaggers just sit there. If you don’t have the right flaggers, don’t have them.

I went up to (Brown) and told him that I am so sorry. Nothing that he has done or I have done to him would ever make up for that. For me, I am over it. The whole thing kind of gave me motivation so I kept myself a little mad at him. But I would never go out there and intentionally hurt somebody. Something like that was not my fault but that’s racing. I just feel bad if I really hurt someone like that."

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Couldn't agree with him more about flaggers knowing what they are doing. I understand (helped organize flagers at our track a couple years and flagged for 3) they are there as volunteers or very low pay but if they are going to take the flagstand they need to know what they are doing. They should be missing out on some exciting racing but that is the price they pay to see that the racers are as safe as possible. The flaggers should only see the rearends of riders all day as they watch their area of responsibility.
Every race I have to restrain myself from overreacting as I see flaggers joking with thier buddies, batting mud clumps, watching the bikes on the big jump acrosss the track, and many other non flag related activities while the races are going on. There are also many who want to run out and help the downed ridr get going forgetting they are there to protect not only the down rider but everyone approaching him.
In an ideal world we would get trained flaggers who want to be there in the heat, dust (or rain) and missing all that great action the fans are seeing.

ps2112

Jan 27, 2003
I was at the race and saw what happened and yes I have to agree it was the flaggers fault. That being said, I was also dismayed to see how the riders didn't even slow down when the flag was flying and Brown was being attended to. I got to met Ryan at an autograph session on Friday and he does seem like a nice guy.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Theres no doubt, the flagging at this event was terrible. There were also factory mechanics tuning thier machines at speed in the pit's. The rules need to be the same and enforced to everyone. Unfortunately it appears the riders/teams will have to rise up and protect thier interest.

It was a very nice day of racing at a very nice track, but these kind of incidents really put a damper on the event for the competitors.

Rob Hendickson of RG3 (suspension support), and Team SoBe Suzuki (thanks for the seat guy's) went out of thier way to help our effort.

One of little talked about battleas of the day, was between DV and Lewis. Lewis held him off, and DV was all over him for half the moto.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Hey... saw the flagging at Washougal in '01 when Travis pile drove it... the flagger WOULD NOT protect the fallen rider. People on the fence were literally pushing the guy into the track, finally one guy took the flag from him and did the job. Never seen anything like it. Had I been close enough I would have jumped the fence. Bad deal. Something needs to be done.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
That being said...

I know it was an accident, I doubt even Hughes or Brown would take a shot like that (Sorby might, what a POS), but isn't it strange that the incident DID involve those two? Just seems like what goes around, comes around. Someonehow, the same people end-up in these positions. Weird.

Anyone know if the injury will keep Brown out?

vern#19

Apr 23, 2000
The Crashes that happened in practice were after the checkers a rider lost his front end on the blind jump the caution flagger put out his flag right away the riders did not slow . More riders piled on one after another some dodging the flagmen (4 by now) and jumping into the pile , a KTM sped through a gap of 4 ft. between the by then frantic flaggers and into the pile.

I can understand the riders Especialy the pros Totally ignoring a caution after the checkers but 3 flaggers!!! I would not blame them totaly the riders should look in the mirror
Also it is not a good place for a Blind jump and a finish flag.
Many Pros disregard the yellow flag and the flagger when he is on the track maybe the flagger did not want to get hit by a Pro who could careless if he hit a flagman

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
I can tell you this, with the amount of money that is made, spent and exchanged in a pro event, for christ sakes hire professional flaggers, jeeeessss is it that hard to expect at a PRO RACE to expect PRO flaggers? I am sure NASCAR recruits volunteers? so stupid its hard to write this.

Supercross at Joliet a few years back, you know the only one, actually had most of my flag crew there, SX people called the local tracks to "recruit" flaggers. totally unprofessional in my book.

Flaggers should be trained, certified, and a group hired in out of a pool in that area when a pro race hits town, then the crap of riders hitting downed riders goes away, or the rider that ignores the }pro} flagger gets slapped with a penalty. Its not hard to figure out, just plain needs to be done.

Riders then won't be able to say, he wasn't waving the flag, or this or that, in my mind if a flag is out, pay attention and don't jump nothing in 4th gear period. Don't assume it's this or that, and say well the flagger is at fault, if the flag is out pay attention. I tell that to my 7 year old daily.

we all want our sport to get better, be accepted as a major big deal, these issues are why we are looked at like second class pro events.

wardy

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I like Wardy's idea. Doesn't NASCAR truck their officials all over the country? heck, with the bunches of people who are on the fringes of the MX tour, they probably have room for about 20 guys who could be the designated AMA officials. The jingle is probably there (although none of the promoters would probably admit it).

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Anyone know if the injury will keep Brown out?

I read somewhere that he separated a shoulder. Depends on the grade, but I'd bet if he's back, he won't be fast.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Thats scary you know. But I guess if they are "trained" the volunteer part of the sentence isn't that big of deal. However usually in this type of position "volunteers" may have questionable training.

wardy

holyroller1

Jun 20, 2001
Just watched the incident on TV. That flagger should never set foot on another track. Heck the Yammy mech was doing more than that flagger. Even the flaggers at our local track will get out in the track and block traffic in a situation like this, and they're only 15-17 years old most of the time.

Actually kinda ticked me off just watchin it. Not a big Brown fan but hate to see that happen to anyone.

Someone needs to seriously re-evaluate the current situation with officials.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Chances are the the flagger also has a drivers license :scream: ! Be very afraid. The AMA as well as all flaggers should belong to some sort of organization that trains them how to handle mishaps on the track. 1st being not to stand there looking at the guy thats down, get your sorry $*# out on the track and block the line, also that yellow flag in your hand wave it so the other riders don't plow you. 2nd your not out there to watch the race you are there to protect the riders so pay attention to the people that have passed you not the ones that are coming, I have seen people go down in local races just past the flagger and they don't even know and well you know they downed rider get's mowed down. 3rd Have them train like a rodeo clown, get that bull to plow them, but really, draw the other riders away from the downed rider/riders if nothing else get your butt in the middle of the track and wave that flag like a mad man. The has been a few times I've wanted to jump the fence and kick the flaggers *#@! :debil:

Now I'm going to take a left and make a comment about the Reynard incident which also involved a track worker. I have been a fan for some time now and with all his past injuries this really tops it someone that wasn't even a rider crossing the track takes him out for the season, can we have IQ test for track employees or what :laugh: ?

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I find it tough to watch races at my local track due to the incompetence of the flaggers. Most are fairly young (guessing 13-16 years old) and aren't even paying attention most of the time.

I saw a race there a few months ago when they had all the little kids on the track riding 50's and 65's. One kid lost his front end on the back side of a mild tabletop. The flagger saw it and ran over to check on the kid instead of staying on the jump and waving his flag. There were lots of kids coming up pretty quickly so I started sprinting to jump the fence and slow them down. By the time I got there 5 or 6 kids had just SLAMMED into the one that was down. It made my stomach sick to see it happen right in front of me. I was amazed when after about 5 minutes every kid hopped back up and got on their bikes again.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
It's pretty sad that riders making six figures can be taken out, possibly forever, by someone that gets free entrance to the race by flagging or well not flagging. The industry should have addressed this years ago, sorry but that also makes the AMA a joke considering they sanction the pro races.
"I spit in their general direction"

WhKnuckle

May 14, 2003
I understand that many of the F1 flaggers actually are volunteers, but F1 has a long and sad history of having drivers die after accidents that were not necessarily fatal. I'll never forget seeing a driver burn to death at the Dutch GP while the "emergency" personnel stood around and watched because they didn't know what to do.

Imagine if Brown would have died as a result of Ryan's collision, after the flagger just stood there like a post. Anybody who thinks that couldn't happen is being foolish.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I agree, 200 lb. KTM + 160 lb. (minimal guess) Ryno + 30-40 mph, extemely possible.

Top Bottom