jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
When you guys cut the seat foam, how exactly do you do that? Do you cut from the top or bottom? Do you cut a slice off the whole thing, or just out of the middle? And after you're done, how do you get the seat cover to go back on right? (For instance, wouldn't the word Honda be wrapping around the bottom of seat and look pretty trashy?) Any advice you could give on this would be great. BTW, this is for my buddy, he's in the ballpark of 5'7", and can just touch the ground on tip-toes. Thanks!

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Electric breadknife (sneak it out of the kitchen. “What are you doing with that knife?!??” “Um. . . nothing?” :scream: )

If you cut the bottom the smooth formed shape will be retained. Make sure you keep the edges with a bit of foam. The logo, well you can’t have everything.

Staple gun the front & back of the vinyl in about the right position & work & stretch the cover down into the hollow. Bit by bit it will start to come into position although it will look pretty scary for a while :eek: but as you put more staples in the crinkles will go. A gentle bit of heat wouldn’t go amiss.

Take his boots to a competent cobbler who knows boots & get him put a packer in or a sole on top of the original. This will easily give you ¾ of an inch & is a good step in the right direction excuse the pun. Try this before you cut the seat. It may be enough.

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
Thanks a lot for the help. I think an inch lower would do him wonders--he's just a little apprehensive about cutting the seat up on his brand new bike. Can't say I blame him for that. It is driving him crazy though, and I know he will be much happier once he can touch the ground better. Thanks again.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I had a couple of friends who had CR's who were vertically challenged.
They found upholsterers who do custom motorcycle seats ( usually Harleys ) who did an awesome job. You would never know it wasn't orginal factory stuff. I would go this route rather than risk a hack job on your own.

bnr

Feb 27, 2002
I have cut the seat foam on 2 seats. What a pain. The electric knife is slow and ruff. I then used a hand belt sander to finish. It left little bumps because it is difficult to prevent dips. Make sure you taper the sides a lot. I had to redo my first one because the seat dug into my inner leg. Then stapling the seat is difficult with a hand stapler. Use ¼” staples and a air or electric stapler. Get the seat cover warm before stapling. I used some squize clamps to hold it so I could center the cover. If a lower seat was made I would pay the $80 instead of doing mine and my son's. I am not looking forward to the day we need new covers. I'm hoping my son will be tall enough for the factory seat. He is 14 and growing like a weed. By my calculation, he shold pass me in height in about a year.

Top Bottom