smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
The sun was shining brightly as I loaded up the truck for what was turning out to be a good day of riding. I planned to get to the Perry State APV area a bit early to see what the trails were like so I didn't look like a real spode when JimmyD2, Squad_3670 and Curt arrived. I hit intermittent patches of rain on the way up, but upon arriving at the parking area found the sun partially blocked by clouds, looks like it's going to miss I thought to myself. It did miss, I unloaded and geared up, but then it opened up on me, only for around 15 minutes but it was enough. The trails were extremely muddy from the previous night's rain. I got in a few good spills before everyone else arrived. I was taking a break when Jimmy and Bill and Curt arrived, they unloaded and geared up and we agreed to go hit some slate washes at the area opposite the road from the parking lot. The slate washes were the highlight of the day, steep long hills of considerable size just perfect for flying up. They had hidden dangers the likes of which were yet unknown. We took it easy starting off, rode one loop that was again very muddy and just ended where it began. Again off to the slate dumps (I can't get enough of these things, they're awesome) then off to another trail which led us out to state route 345. We rode along the edge of 345 for a while until I realized we weren't where I had thought, turned around and retreated to the woods. We were having a great time, hitting huge slate hills and then decided to go back and stop for some lunch. We were sitting around the van talking about how bill didn't have riding boots, probably not a good idea looking back, might have put a crazy idea in his head. Upon returning to the slate dumps we took a few more spins and then disaster. Bill was riding down one and didn't notice the trail cut back to the right, off into a miniature slate ravine he went, over the bars and did a very unnatural looking flip. He said he had some pain in his left ankle, and that he was pretty sure it was broken. He rested for a minute and I helped him take off his boot, he had his left foor wrapped up from a previous injury at wayne national, but accompanying this was massive swelling of the ankle. We then thought about how we would get him back to the van as a nice guy on a yamaha tried to sell him some riding gear. We started his bike and put him on it and pushed te bike into gear, after the short ride back to the van he were forced to call it a day. Truly a great day of riding, it's too bad it had to end so early. But to Bill I send get well quick wishes from the smb boys. Great day of riding guys, we'll have to do it again as soon as possible.

Squad_3670

Apr 5, 2001
Re: Disaster at Perry County

Man, even in a cast I'm still sitting here thinking how much of a blast we had at Perry. We were there before for 5 hours and never even saw those slate dumps. I could spend DAYS in there! And I'm still po'd that the ride had to be cut short because I: 1) don't pay attention 2) don't wear my glasses when I ride 3) can't take a fall right 4) don't have riding boots 5) have no skills, or rather my desires are more than my skills 6) have brittle bones

In case you didn't know yet Jeff, the ankle's broken. We went back to Curt's and after some emergency Vicodin I decided to have Jimmy drive me the 1.5 hours back. Jimmy still feels bad about driving me across the State with a broken ankle but it all worked out for the best and it was my idea anyway. He finally told his wife and she didn't kill him so it looks like he'll get to keep his bike :)

I have a spiral/torsional fracture to the lower left fibula. The cast will be on 3 weeks and then an ankle air cast (I can wear it with a shoe) for a few weeks after that. I will have riding boots before the next ride for sure. I'm mostly upset about missing out on more Perry County that day and our Tennessee trip in September will have to be moved. The cast is more of an inconvienience than anything and like an idiot I turned down a prescription for pain pills that I could have kept in my gear bag for future emergencies. I also started taking a class 2 days later and have been gimping around campus while all of the kids laugh at the crippled old guy. I'm just waiting for someone there to ask me how I did it so I can at least tell them it was on a dirt bike and not falling on the way to get my Geritol bottle from the bathroom...

Anyway, I say we shoot for Perry County in late Sept/early Oct and I'll have new boots to show off. Let's just not talk about how I don't have femur guards next time; it's bad mojo baby!

later,
bill, the kids called me Mr Glass

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I was forwarded a copy of the email by jimmy, that sucks bud. Just take it easy and let it heal up good. As to the kids on campus, let em know how you injured it by wearing a jersey or other dirtbike appearel to class. It's too bad you are put up at the moment, now that I've found perry I'm itchin to get in some more seat time. Perhaps something late this month? how bout it jimmy? SPD? I know you've gotta be lurking out there somewhere ;)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
saturday I have to work, and would you believe they're making me work on labor day?
so sunday is about the only option left for me.

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
hey guys, it won't be long and the dr-350 will be running again and i can show yall the proper way to crash, and make it look pretty at that. i can't wait til she's done

Top Bottom