better late than never, the Perry report

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'm finally getting around to writing the ride report for our last group ride, now that the swelling in my hand has subsided (more on that in a minute). Perhaps the most perfect day in months, last sunday, myself, smb_katoomer, el presidente, JimmyD2, erac, Magnus, squad36_70, and the lone non DRN'er Curt met up for some Perry ridin'. We all arrived close to the set meeting time, and the Forest Rangers were patrolling the parking area like no one's business, stopping anyone who was speeding or conducting any other unsafe activities. Perfect weather, sun was shining, time to get to the riding. We started off by revisiting the slate dumps, where on last ride squad36_70 had cut the day short with his terrible injury, he would return to the game today in good spirits. For the most part the day went along smoothly, el pres was having some power issues with the old KTM so he opted not to hit the serious trail with us. After blazing around the slate washes it was on to the woods, el pres would sit this out at the trucks. We started down into a valley and into some great woods riding. Wound around through the hills of perry county for what seemed like a long time, and even saw some of it a few times as tour guide billy showed us a few wrong turns :eek: but thankfully I showed us the way back to the parking area so Curt could take off early. Stopped at this point for a lunch/bench racing session. Off to the slate dumps again (this stuff is a lot of fun). Trails anyone? Alright, so I was elected tour guide for some reason, which would turn out to be the turning point of my day. Back through the foul smelling mud and past a herd of quads who were clustered up blocking the good trail lines (typical) and on back a semi tight trail. Then it happened, something reached out and got under my bark buster and proceeded to smash my finger and tear my glove. It hurt badly so I stopped for a second, not being one to give up I proceeded another 1/8 mile tops before I had to stop. I take off my helmet and slowly pull off the glove, lots of swelling. The cry goes out for the medic (aka billy) who informed me that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to go any farther. (thanks for turning around my bike and starting it billy, sorry about my sudden stomach jitters :scream: ) Back to the trucks, took some aspirin and vowed that I wasn't done yet, the "ironman" shouts circulated, but that lasted all of 5 minutes, I would not remount that day. I felt bad for ending such a perfect day of riding so soon. Off to the doc on monday, who took some x-rays and said all was fine, buddy tape the finger til the swelling goes down. So now we're carrying a 3 for 3 in rides/injuries. Not a good record but what the heck, let's make it 4 ;)

Squad_3670

Apr 5, 2001
Don't feel bad about ending the ride that day Jeff. After 2 months of not riding, Jim and I were beat. Your injury let us back-out without looking like whiners!:D

I could have done without the sewage smell from the mud pits though...

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Originally posted by Squad_3670
I could have done without the sewage smell from the mud pits though...

I'm actually fearful of washing my bike. I don't want to unleash the putrid stench that is locked inside the dried up caked-on mud!

Once again - I had a blast. Although, I am so sore it's not even funny.

Jeff, glad to hear your finger is not too mangled!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
when billy tore up his foot at Wayne ;)
surely you remember that?

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
hey guys, i had about the best time i have had in a long time, even though the peanut eater was my bike of choice. i think i did rather good at keeping up in spite of the bikes state. i hope we get to do this again, SOON:p , too bad jeffs finger ain't broken, but oh well:p keep in touch all

erac

Apr 9, 2001
Oh yea, It's all coming back to me.....I seem to remember a long sand covered rock hill about 150yds long all the while carrying a Yamaha Raptor up over the steep ledges. With Bill sitting at the bottom of the hill yelling obscenities because it took us a few minutes to carry the 400+lb quad up the hill.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
ah we've all done crazy things when the pain hits, can't remember mine but I'm sure it was there ;)

Top Bottom