CRSpeedy

Nov 24, 2002
I just started safety wiring my grips. They were already glued. I crashed and ripped the end. Is it necessary to use glue when I will safety wire the new ones? or is that overkill?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I do both because it's better than having only one thing that could fail. I never really wired mine until I had one that was glued let loose.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
IMO, glue is unnecessary, messy, and a PITA to remove compared to just using safety wire. I've had glued grips that eventually spin, slip, and distort on the bar. With safety wire alone, zero movement.

Buy grips that have the safety wire groove; 3-4 on the clutch side, 2-3 on the throttle side. A safety wire tool is not absolutely necessary, but it does a really nice job, and makes quick work of the process.

To replace grips, just snip the wires, and the grips slide right off. No more scrapping and cutting the grip off. Very clean replacement. You can swap out grips in about 3 minutes; a little longer if you have bark busters.

adstott

May 23, 2002
I agree with smit. If your not a hard core racer just safety wire. I tried glue once and I'm just to stupid to use it, ended up costing me a new throttle tube and grips. With safety wire I have never had my grips move or come off.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Both, especially if you run handguards that fasten into the ends of the bars; guards allow mud/water to get under grips easier. I like the extra security.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Just wire for us - never had a grip come off over the years. Most all grips have grooves where the wire and the wire twist should go. We primarily ride MX, but we've had our fair share of rain and mud races and no grip problems. Safety wire also makes for easy grip changes, like if you rip one up good at the track and need to switch fast. If you get the cool safety wire tool, you can get the wires REALLY tight.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
MrLuckey said:
The wires breaks IMMEDIATELY after 'really tight' :laugh:
Typically doing a nice slice and dice job on the softer grips as well. :ohmy:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I usually use a squirt of WD-40 to slide the grip on the bars. Or if I can't find the WD-40, a little spit will work too ;)

Eddog and Patty: :moon:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
My grips always twist around on the clutch side if I don't use glue (usually after a death-grip induced loop). So I've started using glue on that side only along with wire on both sides. I've had a throttle tube stick after gobbing it up with glue.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Moto Squid said:
stupid question but how do you guys get the grips on w/o glue....I use glue/wire and the glue lets 'em slip right on.

Spray some contact cleaner on the inside of the grip. It'll slide right on and eveporates making a nice clean contact surface. I don't use glue either with this system. Just wire.

CRSpeedy

Nov 24, 2002
Thanks guys, The reason I asked is cxause I think the glue is a pain too and would be easier and faster (no cure time) to just safety wire them. I'm gonna try it for MX first.

frankrock363

Sponsoring Member
Jan 21, 2004
Aside from just practice all I ride is Mx,B level.I have never had a problem using just saftey wire.If you ask me glue is just a pain in the butt.

Last edited:

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
I use wire and I borrow some of the wife's hair spray. The glue seems to set up to quick and then you are stuck with a grip that is half on half off.

- Walt

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Safety wire only. I messed up two pair of grips at DW with glue. It ate through the rubber.

The tool is good nikki just be careful not to go too tight it breaks the wire, then you have to cut another piece. :flame:

I must be mentally challenged b/c I can tear the whole bike down from top to bottom without any problems but changing grips gives me the blues. :whiner:

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
I put contact cleaner inside the grips before putting them on. This softens up the rubber and actually makes them slide on very easy. When they dry, the grip adheres to the bar quite well. Of course 3 strands of safety wire over the top. I used to use glue but this way makes it nicer to replace grips.

yz125_894

Nov 23, 2003
i use glue and never had a problem just put it around the inside just a little them slide them on. Only thing is sometimes the ends get loose later in the season.

Top Bottom