dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
I just got this from another BB . I don't know how valid it is but good advise none the less .

New Scam Gives Hackers Access To Your Bank Account
There's a new scam on the Internet that could give crooks access to your bank account.

This one is particularly dangerous, says Gadget Guy Corey Miller, because you may think the e-mail is from a service that's linked to your credit cards and your bank account.

About 16 million Internet shoppers use programs such as PayPal to safely transfer money from their bank accounts or credit cards to pay bills or make purchases.

But they might get a bogus e-mail asking them to verify their PayPal account information because of a server upgrade.

The link takes users to a Web site that only looks like PayPal. When you type in your account information, you give a hacker access to your bank account and credit cards.

"Just about any service that's offered on the Web that holds confidential information, one of their terms of service is they won't ever ask you for your password," said Peyton Engel of Madison ISP Berbee. "There are ones that will remind you of your password if you've forgotten it, but that's a different matter."

Keep that in mind because this scam isn't exclusive to PayPal, and it can be tricky.

In fact, when you click into one of the scam e-mails and wind up at a fake site, the site usually has a fake url to make it look like the real thing.

If you ever get an e-mail asking for your password from any Web site, go to the site, look for e-mail customer service and tell them what's going on.

But don't ever give your password out ... no matter how legitimate the request looks.

Be careful shoping everyone :ugg:

B

biglou

Much easier to set things up later if you did miss an actual email than it would be to recover your funds, restore your credit, etc. from releasing your PW inadvertently.

Usually, if something has changed, when you log on to PayPal, or whatever, they will have a redirect telling you that something needs to be added or changed. Also, I think their FAQ's have info on this sort of thing, stating what they would never do, such as emailing you asking for your PW, etc.

Always best to play it safe!

Top Bottom