Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well, finally i am going onto my Senior year. And i am actually starting to like school, i took a class i REALLY enjoyed and I'm good at. CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) i was actually excited that summer is getting short to go back to this class and design stuff.

But then i got a dreaded Phone call. "Hi Tyler, We are calling you about your Vo-Tech schedule. "Ok?" Well they dropped Second session CAD Do you want to take another class? "What do you mean they dropped second session CAD?" Well they only have 1st and 3rd session now, so you need to pick a new class. "Well i dont know i REALLY wanted to take CAD" Well there is nothing we can do "Let me think about it". Then i hung up while she was talking (oops)

So they ruined the school year for be because i cant take the class i actually enjoyed. The class that i was planning on expanding my knowledge on for my Career. I WAS the best person in all three sessions to go to my 2nd year. And they there me out. And i can't take any other session because our school only does second.

So now i have to pick a class. (Its a tossup between Machine Tech, Or Computer Networking) I'm still trying to find my teachers phone number, to talk to him about maybe coming in after school to "Expand my knowledge" I'm also going to call the school and maybe i can setup something where i can leave to go to 3rd session cad. (kinda like some students do Co-Op Where they leave school to work for something that they do in the Vo-Tech program.

I don't know, i think this is just a bunch of bull****. and i am very mad an upset at the same time, and needed to vent.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you liked the ability to draw mechanical pieces with CAD then take the Machine Tech class if you were more in to architectual aspects then go with the networking or some other class. Having practical knowledge of whatever you are involved with is vastly more valuable than being able to press the buttons faster than the next guy so branching out a bit could be a good thing. Yes I am quite familiar with what I am talking about I've been using CAD for 24 years and would much rather have somebody that knows how something is supposed to work than somebody that might know a feature or quicker way because it's typically easier to teach the method than pound the practical knowledge into somebodies skull. As a matter of fact I started out in Greensburg, PA.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Man, I couldn't agree more. You can teach someone to run CAD but if they don't understand the mechanics of what they are modeling then it's a waste. Take the Machine Tech class so you understand what you'll be asking someone to build and how the drawings you make in CAD can have a huge effect on the outcome. I've taught lots of CAD courses and the people that really work out the best are the ones that were machinists, tool makers, etc. They knew what they needed and learned how to use CAD to their advantage.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
hmm, i never really look at it that way. I was always pretty mechanically inclined. I know how stuff works, but i'm sure the machine tech class would help. I was going to take the class because it looked interesting. But i like Mechanical drafting. I don't like architectural. Yeah i guess you guys are rite.

But it wasn't to make me press a button faster on the CAD program, it was a 2 year class he teaches you stuff this year, and more stuff next year. There is a lot within the program that i DON'T know how to do. (But i guess thats what tech schools are for...)

Well, thanks guys, you have opened my eyes a little more. I'm going to sign up for the Machine tech. hopefully it helps me. But the whole situation still blows my mind.

Thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Unless the teacher is REALLY good you will only learn one way to do things, the way the know. The reality is there are multiple good ways to do may tasks within any top level CAD program and very few people take the time to learn more than one way and then it get's passed on when they teach. Get an educational version for your own computer and just play with the software you'll be miles ahead because you are not going to break anything by trying different tools and thinking about different ways to use them. Most of the people I have worked with get stuck in a rut of one way and it's sad because you can be more productive with a little effort to learn. Every single person I have hired in the past 3 years has attended one of 3 tech schools and I know exactly what they will and won't know on day one and it's sad.The few people I've hired that have left for other employment are always amazed at how they typically have a better basis than the senior staff at the firm they go to and it's just because I force thinkings not just button pushing. Since you enjoy what you are doing so far DON'T get stuck in a box! Push buttons, listen to other users, read about other ways or even other disciplines and it will give you a spark to try something that could save a ton of time and thus $$. Just because you don't like architectual doesn't mean there isn't something to learn.

Fuzzball if you were referring to me, we use Bentley products (Microstation is one) but I have years of CADAM and AutoCAD experience as well.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Patman said:
...very few people take the time to learn more than one way ..... Get an educational version for your own computer and just play with the software you'll be miles ahead because you are not going to break anything by trying different tools and thinking about different ways to use them... Most of the people I have worked with get stuck in a rut of one way and it's sad because you can be more productive with a little effort to learn. ...and it's just because I force thinkings not just button pushing. Since you enjoy what you are doing so far DON'T get stuck in a box! Push buttons, listen to other users, read about other ways or even other disciplines and it will give you a spark to try something that could save a ton of time and thus $$. Just because you don't like architectual doesn't mean there isn't something to learn.

:worship:

Loving hearing this. :nod:

May 10, 2007
Patman said:
Fuzzball if you were referring to me, we use Bentley products (Microstation is one) but I have years of CADAM and AutoCAD experience as well.

yea those Bentley brothers make useful program. they are right down the road from us.

Last edited:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
The teacher was pretty good. Tough us more than pressing buttons. We had to design and build a battle bot (design it, make the "blue prints" [under 15lbs]) send it to machine shop and have them make the parts. Took about 3 months with 4 people, an hour a day to get it from a piece of paper to the real deal. (even though 2 people in my group did absolutely nothing. and there was a couple.... didn't do anything days.) Then we competed at a mall with a bunch of other schools. But our teacher didn't choose our robot. Which he regretted later on. He still has it, and he is going to use MY robot as an example to other classes for next year. I don't have the pictures, but i have what it looks like on the computer (like built on the computer). I really liked the class. This year we were going to build battle bots, and submarines. But i wont be in the class. :( I even designed a part to fix his vacuum when i broke it then we printed it off in the 3d plastic printer. (which is awesome!) and it worked!

All in all REALLY liked the class. We used Some AutoCAD, But mainly Autodesk Inventor 2008. He gave everyone student copy of the program to use at home, and I've been messing around with it. Actually just started to design an engine. (don't expect it to actually work, but just to get experience of making a block, and putting watter ways threw it for liquid cooling, and all the ports and whatnot) Didn't get that far because i only get to work on it when I'm at my dads because thats the only computer that will run it.

But i do agree that taking the machine tech class would help. So ill be signing up for that if there is no possible way that i can get back into the class. And i just think architectural is boring. I can only do it for so long. But i love designing mechanical stuff. And thanks for the input. :cool:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Ditto everything Pat said.

I could have choked the SOB that taught my daughter how to draw in CAD ... I did not say draft ... she is learning that now in the real world. He didn't like the commands I taught her, so he said don't use them. He graded her down on one assignment to boot. I wanted to "visit" the night of open house but she begged me not to go ... He was a real tool I tell ya! :) A washed up architect that couldn't get a job when everyone in DFW was begging for help.

I am on AutoCAD 2009 at the moment.

pfft that you don't like architectural ... :)

It is fun to chase water leaks in CAD ... yea, I'm funny like that.

A design I am working on now ...
343375619_9HNkt-M.jpg

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
RM_guy said:
Pssst, Tony...it's open on one end and all the livestock are gonna escape :laugh:

Yea ... but they will fall off the edge and be teleported directly to the meat market in a deli near you, so all is good!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Tony Eeds said:
Yea ... but they will fall off the edge and be teleported directly to the meat market in a deli near you, so all is good!
Damn you're good! I don't care whet everyone else says :nener:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
RM_guy said:
Pssst, Tony...it's open on one end and all the livestock are gonna escape :laugh:
See it's just a concept it doesn't HAVE to actually work becuase it's architectual :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom